What salary should I ask for?

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

danielmiller82
Bristleworm

What salary should I ask for?

Post by danielmiller82 »

Recently, I was loaned over part time to the IT dept. here at the TV station. I am a graphic artist, but know enough about computers and networking to do that stuff too.

The IT director asked me a question today that I found interesting. He asked me how much per year it would take for me to leave my graphic design position and work as a full time tech guy. I have done tech previously for about 9 months but that was while I was also working as a graphics guy.

Anyways...my question here today...what is a reasonable salary to ask for in the tech field in this area. The job would consist pretty much of setting up new computers, troubleshooting hardware and software and working on broadcast equipment. Anyone who would have an idea of the general salary for this kind of job let me know please!!!
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I have no idea what that position might pay but I would figure out the ranges of salaries that are advertised for a similar position, average them and add a couple thousand. That would give you a good average with some room to negatiate.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

ask for a million dollars and a 6 pack!!!! lol

just take what you make now and add 10 to 20 % increase depending on what the work load consists of will you work lots of overtime would you enjoy the positon ( tv engineers can make good money ) and go all over the place

its up to you

also if you get the position just tell them you want to use lots of maxell video tape and you want to put in all new hd cameras !!!

chad
gitting things back in order and starting over!!!
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Normally technicians with experience start at $13-$17 and hour. If they are really green $11-$13 an hour. Now this is referring to a tech that just sets up p.c.'s, compies data, a little internet stuff and a little networking.

If it gets into managing servers, managing the network, etc then more is needed.

When I got out of tech school about 10 years ago I started at $6.50 an hour, bottom dollar, I left Raetech 3 years later at $15 an hour, they closed. I started Tandy working for 30k a year to start, left at 50k when we closed 7 years later. I am back at low range again with at different place, can't disclose salary, a big no-no. I will tell you that Televox offered me $14 an hour, Teledyne offered me $16.50 an hour but did not take those.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
donkeyclubmember
Amoeba

Post by donkeyclubmember »

both mobile and baldwin school boards start at 32k for a rank 0 pc tech..
Hell ask for five dollars more an hour and be happy..
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”- Jeremiah 29:11
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

It is like selling a house....ask what they will offer....then take it or say no but open to other offer....when offer on house is made I would never make a counter offer....I have just lowered the price of my house when I do so....this is what your boss is doing when he asked you how much...looking for the low bid.....
reefer21
Amoeba

Post by reefer21 »

intresting stuff