Team MBRK - Let's Fold some Proteins !

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

WTF Brandon you suck ass !!!

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main ... mnum=46002

Brandon are you running the service, graphical client or the screensaver ?

For those asking what is protein folding or WTF am I talking about ? Instead of me repeating the FAQ.

http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html

Your computer is sitting idle at home most of the day doing nothing, at night it is doing nothing while you sleep. Why not use those spare CPU cycles to combat disease ? A GRID project uses many personal computers to compile data for research, a piece of the puzzle is sent to every computer to figure out.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

Brandon, how many computers do you have running? I see 3 cpus what speeds are they and what OS?
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yeah inquiring minds want to know.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Running the graphical client, 1 win2k box w/ 2.5ghz amd 512mb ram, 1 winxp box w/ 2.5ghz amd and 512mb, and winxp mce laptop w/ 2.8ghz intel w/ 512mb

Only one of them is running 24x7, the others are sporadic. I might crank up some more if I get the time.

I am going to try the service on my home PC I think, the graphical client sucks up the juice a bit too much.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

Mine has been going for about 1 1/2 days and its completed 30% of this work unit! Why do I always get stuck with the 5mb WUs!!!!!!! I think I must have it somewhere in the settings to accept them. My 400mhz Powermac G3 would always finish on regular sized WU in less than a day...but my Dual 1ghz G4 seemed to always get the ones that took 2 and 3 days to finish! Argh...speaking of which...when I get home tonight, I need to fire up my G3 and my old 8600 to start crunching away.
-daniel
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

I'm registered now :)
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

The graphical client must work faster because my stats on my home machine are higher.

Intel p4 3.4ghz
2 gig of 400mhz ram
200 gig hd

and it is not going to finish its unit till today but it is running the service and it did not start that night till 8pm.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

danielmiller82 wrote:Mine has been going for about 1 1/2 days and its completed 30% of this work unit! Why do I always get stuck with the 5mb WUs!!!!!!! I think I must have it somewhere in the settings to accept them. My 400mhz Powermac G3 would always finish on regular sized WU in less than a day...but my Dual 1ghz G4 seemed to always get the ones that took 2 and 3 days to finish! Argh...speaking of which...when I get home tonight, I need to fire up my G3 and my old 8600 to start crunching away.
On the service you can choose to not accept the large WU. The service is pretty cool I notice no slow downs at all when it is running.

Oh Brandon just checked you have 4, you really suck.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

on my machine...I noticed that If I have both the Graphic Client and the console running at the same time.. it will max-out my processors... but it doesn't seem to get the WUs done faster. I think they are working off of the same data..I wish there was a way to run it as two individual data sets. I may have to look into it tonight...maybe see if I can bump the processor priority to a higher level or maybe dedicate one of my processors to F@H. hmmm i will have to do some reading up.
-daniel
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Does Folding@home run on dual processor machines? Yes, you can. Additional processors must run the console version (with the "-local" command-line argument if run on Windows). First, make additional directories for each processor and copy the FAH Console executable file into each. Then configure them with the -config switch, filling in settings for each. It is very important to make sure that under the "Advanced Settings" option each copy is given a unique machine ID (from 1 to 8). The first copy will default to a machine ID of 1, so additional copies should be given IDs of 2, 3, 4, etc. Each may then be run out of their installed directory, using the -local switch on windows.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

I've registered too, but when i go to the team url, it only shows brandon, and snoop.

is there something else i need to do?
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Because we are the only ones that have work units generated. As long as you put the team number in when you install the program your name will eventually appear, after the work unit is done. This normally takes 1-3days.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

Wow...i was at only finished 91 out of 470 frames after 2 full days. I started up a second client....and now I'm maxing out both processors....

Oh yeah...top is processor 1 and bottom is the other
Attachments
blue is apps and I only had F@H running
blue is apps and I only had F@H running
f@h.jpg (74.78 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
-daniel
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Anyone else get Cologen ? Isn't that what they put in Angelina's lips ?
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

i did