10 gallon refugium

Break out the ducktape !

Moderator: snoopdog

Dxtr
Amoeba

10 gallon refugium

Post by Dxtr »

so this is what I'm thinking of doing:

I have a 10-20 rated HOB filter. I can drill a 1" hole in it and have it eaisly drain into the 10 gallon I have under my DT. From there, through the obligatory baffles and fuge to the left side of the 10 gallon where gravity will pull the fuge water through PVC (drilled hole) into the right side of my sump area that has the return pump to the DT.

Sound feasable and safe? If the power goes out, no water will drain to the fuge and the water will not complettely drain out of the fuge either...

Pics attached to give you all a better I dea what I'm talking about.

Other option I was wondering about was, what I could use on the left side of 10 gallon to return the water from the fuge to the sump, for return to the DT. I may get a hole drilled, however, I am not to crazy about that idea. And doesn't an overflow box require the water level in the tank to be near the top of the tank?

Please voice your ideas, thoughts, scenarios, suggestions. Thanks!!

dxtr
Attachments
Refg. Project.jpg
Refg. Project.jpg (96.77 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
Refg.project 2.jpg
Refg.project 2.jpg (83.46 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
Refg Project 3.jpg
Refg Project 3.jpg (112.01 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
Peace! - Dxtr
Bkndsdl
Amoeba

Post by Bkndsdl »

I don't know about the HOB filter idea......why couldn't you tee off your return pump line - w/a ball valve so you can control the amt of flow to the fuge - to feed the fuge? Just don't know how the HOB filter would provide enough flow.

As far as return to the sump from the fuge, a hole near the top of the fuge with a suction screen would work best IMO.

Here's a pic of my setup when I first put it into service; The only thing that's different is I replaced the standpipe I originally had with a bkhd in the side to drain to the return; the clear hose comes from the pump in the sump, and the tee is behind the skimmer:

-Mike
http://bkndsdl1.home.mchsi.com/
Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?
There is NO SUCH THING as a hot water heater.
Dxtr
Amoeba

Post by Dxtr »

I may be a little confused here now. Why would I T-off the return line to feed the fuge? I was thinking about relocating one of the overflow PVC lines into the fuge instead of into the sump, but was thinking that a HOB that was pulling the tank water into it's resivoir and gravity feeding it into the fuge would be sufficient... I am not even 50% sure of what I am doing, but I have read more about refugiums than I have anything about my 6am-6pm, 6 days a week job that pays the bills!! ha ha ha :lol:

Thanks Bknd. Anyone else able to decipher what I am looking at doing?

dxtr
Peace! - Dxtr
Suziq21
Amoeba

Post by Suziq21 »

So I think I see what you're getting at... You're thinking about taking the HOB skimmer and modding it into an overflow, except this overflow would be pump driven therefore eliminating the need for siphoning and subsequent flooding if the siphon isn't just right??? Since you've already got drainlines in, this would just be an added line coming to your tank. No problems there, in my novice opinion. But I do think the idea of t-ing off the line might be a bit easier.
Now, the second part. You'd have to drill both tanks for water transport. Seems like a pain in the butt.

Why not upgrade your sump to an all in one tank that is larger and will accomodate everything instead of all this drilling and extra plumbing. Keep it simple;p Less things to worry about failing;p
Dxtr
Amoeba

Post by Dxtr »

I was looking at the option of upgrading or utilizing my current sump, however, where you see the middle divider for the dorrs on the stand, is where the 1st punp is located, and to move that pump is a Mmjor chore.

Also, a T- valve doesn't seem possiblesince the pipes and tank are so tight to the wall. ( I was considering a HOB fuge, however, I only have 4.5" clearence on the back...)

I was thinking I could only drill the one 10 gallon tank and install PVC that would allow the fuge water to drain tot he sump, without having to drill a hole in the 30 gallon sump.

Still learing. Please keep the thoughts coming! thaks!

dxtr
Peace! - Dxtr
Bkndsdl
Amoeba

Post by Bkndsdl »

I didn't say the HOB filter wouldn't work, I just don't know how much flow you would get........

You wouldn't have to drill both tanks; you could drill the fuge near the top, and let it gravity drain to the sump via pvc pipe; that's how mine is. Here's a pic of how my fuge drains to the sump:

Hope this helps!
-Mike
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

Why not just do a hang on overflow? I don't know how well the filter idea will work, a 1" drain does about 600 gallons a hour, whats to flow rate on the filter. I say do a HOB overflow. or T it off like Bkndsdl suggested.
Dxtr
Amoeba

Post by Dxtr »

thanks for hte replies all. and thanks for the pictures Mike. they are helping alot.

I have limited room behind the tank for a T, so I am going witht he HOB filter option until I can get an overflow if needed.

thanks again all!

dxtr
Peace! - Dxtr
Dxtr
Amoeba

Post by Dxtr »

Hi All!! Thanks to you all and your great advice I have completed my Fuge!! 8)

Thanks Mike for hte picture as it definately assisted me in switching from trying to make it work with a 10 gallon tempered glass tank, to the pics you see below where I also utilized the storage tub! The tub pictured below is actually a little bigger than the tank.

I was able to get to one of my overflows (on the back right of the tank) cut the pvc where I could reposition it to drain directly into the Fuge.

Total cost $13.85. Thanks again to everyone. all I need is about 10-15# LR and some Cheato! =)

dxtr
Attachments
Fuge 2.jpg
Fuge 2.jpg (59.52 KiB) Viewed 8380 times
Fuge 1.jpg
Fuge 1.jpg (49.27 KiB) Viewed 8380 times
Peace! - Dxtr
Bkndsdl
Amoeba

Post by Bkndsdl »

No prob, dude! Those storage tubs are great and, best of all, cheap!!

I put live rock rubble in mine; got it from Chris and Michelle @Fat Fish for $2 a lb. If you can wait for some macro algae, I should have a bagful at the swap. Now all you need is the bulbs from Home Depot (http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html) or Lowes (where I got mine from; same thing), and you'll have macro to give away in no time!

Glad I could help!
-Mike
jagal
Amoeba

Post by jagal »

DXTR,
If you want some chaeto, I have it overflowing my refugium. I need to cull some this weekend. Let me know and I will be glad to give you some. Let me know where to meet you.

I can probably almost fill a gallon bag with my extra.

jagal
Dxtr
Amoeba

Post by Dxtr »

Thanks Jagal! not sure I need a gallon worth, however, I'd be happy to acquire some this saturday. I am going to crestview for a frag swap there, but should be back in P'cola by 12-1pm. Send me a PM if you are available and I can meet you somewhere.

I can trade ya a frag of Xenia if you are interested! Thanks again

dxtr
Attachments
Xenia Colony.jpg
Xenia Colony.jpg (102.57 KiB) Viewed 8369 times
Peace! - Dxtr
Suziq21
Amoeba

Post by Suziq21 »

Dxtr-
How'd you do the bulkhead from the tub??? You're giving me some ideas on how to redo my setup...
You're going to a frag swap this Saturday... Is it the one at James' house?
Dxtr
Amoeba

Post by Dxtr »

Yes, it is at James' house. I found out from someone iquiring about my red colt coral frag.

I simply drille da 1.5" hole about 2" fromt he top. Got the necessary bulkheads from Lowes. One with a threaded end that is on the inside of the tub, the other with a non threaded end for attaching the PVC to the sump.

After drilling hte hole and threading the threads intot he tub, i siliconed around the entire opening and then some to make sure it would not leak. Got a cap that I screwed onto the threads inside the tub and let is cure for 24 hours.

Hope that helps. it's the best this novice can describe. :lol:

dxtr
Peace! - Dxtr