Acropora...what is needed for them to thrive?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

megelBeagle
Amoeba

Acropora...what is needed for them to thrive?

Post by megelBeagle »

I would like to keep acro's but I have heard that they require very narrow parameters to to happy.
I was told by one lfs shopkeeper that ph and calcium levels must be maintained within such a small window that realtime monitoring and automated dosing is required.
I don't currenlty have a calcium reactor, nor do I religiously monitor my ph. Honestly, I only test that stuff if I see a problem.
I have my kalk on a drip and I dose buffer every morning.
Is that not enough?
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Stable parameters are the most important thing. And there are so many different Acropora, most having different requirements. In my opinion the important thing is good water flow and stable alkalinity. You will have to be willing to monitor Alk, Cal and Mg. fairly regularly, especially at first. What you are using should be fine, calcium reactors are not required.

Start with a couple of the less demanding ones, and see how they do.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

Don't let anyone tell you that have to have a calcium reactor, or metal halides. You just want a lot of water movement and as close a possible to NSW conditions. A good protien skimmer always helps out too.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I was told by one lfs shopkeeper that ph and calcium levels must be maintained within such a small window that realtime monitoring and automated dosing is required.
Why must people give answers when they don't know them? Wouldn't it be easier to say. "I don't know, but I hear they are hard to keep. I would suggest doing some research before you decide."

Or am I being unrealistic here? The "window" is not any more narrow than for anything else. The key is keeping levels as stable as you can. Fast/large changes in parameters will cause more problems than anything.
megelBeagle
Amoeba

Post by megelBeagle »

Start with a couple of the less demanding ones, and see how they do.
Which would those be?
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

First make sure you pH, Alkalinity, and Calcium are all up to the levels they need to be at. Then just try to get a small frag from someone on the board or see if one of the stores has any small cheap frags and try that.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

In very general terms, the "staghorn" or branching acros that are easy to find tend to be less sensitive than say... the so called "deepwater" acros. Staghorns tend to like alot of turbulent water flow and good lighting.

The "Green slimer" (Acropora Youngei) is a good starter acro, and a sweet one. They are easy to find, and hardy. Acropora Tenuis (I believe this is actually classified as a "cluster" type acro) also seems fairly hardy, at least from my experience. I agree with starting with a couple of frags and not whole colonies. They are usually much less stressed by the change. If you have any Montiporas in your tank now and they are doing well you shouldn't have a problem with most acros. If not I would highly recommend trying a Digitata or capricornis type Montipora. Both are easy to get and should be pretty inexpensive.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

I have Purple and Orange Monti Cap and Green and Pink Pocilopora under Power compacts and do not dose and do not have a calcium reactor and do not have a protien skimmer. The Orange Monti is taking over the tank.
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
megelBeagle
Amoeba

Post by megelBeagle »

I have Purple and Orange Monti Cap and Green and Pink Pocilopora under Power compacts and do not dose and do not have a calcium reactor and do not have a protien skimmer. The Orange Monti is taking over the tank.
Well that is encouraging. I guess I will start with montipora or pocillopora and once they are happy...have a go with some green slimer.
Anyone have any frags available? :D
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I, for one, think most "SPS" do better with some nutrients in the water. A whole lot of people would disagree and that's fine, it's just my opinion. I feed my tank pretty well and they've always had good color and growth. I also have Montiporas in the 40, which is a high nutrient tank, basically not skimmed, and they do well in there. You should be fine, and I think you're on the right track going with Montipora and/or Pocillopora first.

FWIW... Acroporas do not do well in the 40, but more than likely it's because I have much less water flow in that tank.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding any of those frags in Mobile. If you do, let me know and I can set you up with some.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

sb1227 wrote:I, for one, think most "SPS" do better with some nutrients in the water. A whole lot of people would disagree and that's fine, it's just my opinion. I feed my tank pretty well and they've always had good color and growth. I also have Montiporas in the 40, which is a high nutrient tank, basically not skimmed, and they do well in there. You should be fine, and I think you're on the right track going with Montipora and/or Pocillopora first.

FWIW... Acroporas do not do well in the 40, but more than likely it's because I have much less water flow in that tank.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding any of those frags in Mobile. If you do, let me know and I can set you up with some.
I agree. You will find that as your tank gets older, it is actually easier and easier to keep various Acropora and other 'sps' type corals. I think that there are two reasons for this--relative stability and greater availability of natural food/nutrients.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium