Reef safe? Golden Damsel eating my Frogspawn

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Crustman
Amoeba

Reef safe? Golden Damsel eating my Frogspawn

Post by Crustman »

Well it is not really eating it, instead it bites of the green tips on the tentacles and spits these out. It is a territorial behavior. I moved the Frogspawn and hope it will recover. I need to rid my tank of this Damsel. It is far too agressive for corals. It attacks my Pikstik grabber whenever I have these in the tank. This species is reported to be reefsafe.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

While it is true that A. aureus primarily eats zooplankton and algae, they are, as you said, territorial. They will "arrange" their surroundings to their liking--if they don't like something, they'll either move it or tear it up. I have watched them do the same to sea cucumbers, starfish, hands, fingers, and the like. Beyond that, this is a relatively big damsel, getting around 5 inches. Definitely not a fish I'd like to keep in a peaceful community.

Other damselfish, however, will deliberately destroy corals to encourage algae growth. Jewel damselfish are notorious about this.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Thanks Andrew,

Now the question is what do I do with it? I want corals more than I want this fish. I don't want the fish to topple the rockwork either.