running out of space for frags and got creative

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

redpheonix
Copepod

running out of space for frags and got creative

Post by redpheonix »

Ever run out of room for frags or get tired of them falling over into the sand and loosing them? I got board and decided to try something out, didnt have room for another tank so i decided to make a miny raceway to bake my frags in. This was a first attempt at anything like this, it doesnt have frags in it yet cause im waiting on the sylicone to dry but i think it will work fine. Gonna circulate water thru it with a maxijet, it has a 1/4 in return with a spray bar and a 3/4 in drain. I will try to post a few pics of it once i get the frags in it but for now here are a few so you can see my madness. Let me know what you think, any feed back or suggestions would be great. Thanks guys.
Last edited by redpheonix on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
Crustman
Amoeba

Re: running out of space for frags and got creative

Post by Crustman »

That looks nice. I don't understand how it is plumbed to the main tank but good luck. What will you do for lighting?
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

It sits under my canopy so it uses the same lighting as the tank, it is clear so it doesnt block light from getting to the main tank, water is pumped into it from the main tank by a maxijet and drains directly back into the tank. It only holds 2 gals of water.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

hopefully this will help a little , i will post another pic later it should be up and running tonight or tomorrow.
Last edited by redpheonix on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
jdmorgan20fan
Amoeba

Post by jdmorgan20fan »

I like it!!!
B&Bemployee1802
Amoeba

Post by B&Bemployee1802 »

zach that looks great and best of all it uses the lighting from your display so you dont have to pay for more lighting as well as any extra for your power bill
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

Well i finally got it running, had to make a few mods to it but its runs pretty good now. 1st tie i powered it up i overflowed it (drain had no way to let air inso it vapor locked) so i added a couple vent holes in the 90 just above water line. Also had a problem with air bubbles pouring into the tank from the overflow and didnt want to have to worry about micro bubbling the tank so i added a simple bubble trap and it seems to work well, its also right at water level s i dont have this oddly large piece of pvc sticking down into my tank right in the middle. Let me know what ya think.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

Well guys i dont know why it wont let me post updated pics , keeps saying that the board quotafor has been met or something like that, even deleted the pics i already had up and tried to make a new post?
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred