Float switch.

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Snakeman
Astrea snail

Float switch.

Post by Snakeman »

I am thinking about hooking up some float switches on my top off water, What do I need to know when I start to do my shopping. I'm going to be running my RO water line strait to my sump.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Liz and myself both use Kent's float switch right onto the RO/DI output line, empties right into the sump, works like a champ. Beware, your RO/DI water quality won't be as good. When I say not as good, I'm talking like you'll have 3ppm TDS instead of 0ppm (I tested it one day). It's not much, but I know some people are very "attentive" to things like that.
-Josh Murrah
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

What? What is that and why does a float switch cause you to get that.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

The float switch makes your RO/DI kick out very small amounts of water, repeatedly. When you first start your RO/DI, it puts out a slightly lower quality water... I mean VERY slightly.... but anyway, you see what I mean. I tested a glass full of RO/DI, and got a reading of 3 on my TDS meter, however, when I filled a 3" deep POOL of water in the 240G (about 40 gallons?) and when I tested that large batch of water, I got 0 on the TDS meter.
-Josh Murrah
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Each time the float valve gets to a cetain level it will start to run. When it starts to run the pressure is too low for the membrane to efficiently filter the water. When you have it in your sump the float valve is opening and closing many times a day, each time you get the small amount of mostly unfiltered water.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Yep. Just *how* unfiltered is up to debate, at least I have not read anything solid that says "you're getting crap if you do it this way" ... but it's definitely something to think about. I know that I could definitely tell the difference with a TDS meter. Having said that, 3ppm isn't enough for me to worry about (from my poor test).
-Josh Murrah
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

My RO filter has a 3 gallon reservoir. So I would think that the water would be coming from there not directly from the filter.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

No, it's not really an issue. Things that are measured by a TDS meter may be removed by carbon, skimming, biological processed, and some will be removed during water changes. The only way I see it being a problem is if there was an abnormally large amount of copper in your water, which is pretty unlikely.

Think of how many people out there have successful reef tanks and I would guess that half probably use RO water directly from their RO units. Evin if it was only a quarter that is still a lot of people.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

What do the other 75% use?
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

I have mine hooked straight to the sump. I haven't tested it out yet, but everything seems fine. Maybe I need to re-consider that setup.
:?
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Buckets of water like I do?
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

the reservoir on my Ro filter hold 3 gals so maybe that will help. Hey it's still better than tap water. Any brands better that others? WHat do you do to safe guard againt snail from turning them on. Thanks for the info.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I make a trashcan full, let it set with a pump for a couple of days. Siphon an equal amount out of the house into another trashcan, then use a pump in the newly made up water to push it into the house in the sump... or uhm.. I just pour the buckets down the toilet and fill and equal amount from the newly made up water outside.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I make a toilet full, let it set with a pump for a couple of days. Siphon an equal amount out of the house into another toilet, then use a pump in the newly made up water to push it into the house in the sump... or uhm.. I just pour the buckets in a trashcan and fill and equal amount from the newly made up water outside. :lol:
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Snakeman wrote:WHat do you do to safe guard againt snail from turning them on.
My float's in the sump, no snails there. I like Kent, holds up to the pressure and easy to install/adjust/clean.
-Josh Murrah