Nitrate and Mg+ testing kits

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

bluwtr
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Nitrate and Mg+ testing kits

Post by bluwtr »

Okay, so I'm looking for opinions on these. I got a Hannay PO4 checker today--FREAKING AWESOME!!! Water testing doesn't get any easier than that. According to Hanna's website they do not have either of the two I'm looking for. Anyway, I use Red Sea kits for Ca+ and Alk. I have a Salifert kit for Mg+. I've used API for my NO3. I really like the Red Sea kits--very easy to use, def color change, and you can buy just reagents when needed. I know they make a NO3 and Mg so has anyone used them? I like the Salifert but it's almost out so I'd like to try and stay within the same manufacturer unless opinions swing otherwise. I know that the API kits are good for ease as well as value, but they do not have low enough resolution to truly be helpful so they aren't even a consideration. I believe the Red Sea NO3 kit has a color wheel with it which could be hard to determine, but from the looks from their website video, the colors are distinct--i.e. clear/pink/lime green etc. and not ten shades of light blue.

So, throw me out some pros and cons of what every you'd like--I'm all ears.

Thanks.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: Nitrate and Mg+ testing kits

Post by Amphiprion »

The main ones I've used are Salifert, Elos, Seachem, Aquarium Systems (FasTest), and API. For Mg++, Elos and Salifert were in agreement or were minimally different. NO3- was about the same on these two--aka pink and hard to read, but with higher resolution and smaller gradations. The other kits aren't worth the time/money, IMHO, for NO3-. I have no experience with the Red Sea kits (used to be not so good, though I hear differently now), but if the color differentiation is as evident as you say, it may well be worth a shot. Worst case scenario, try it with a sample of known NO3- concentrations.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
bluwtr
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: Nitrate and Mg+ testing kits

Post by bluwtr »

Yeah the Red Sea Pro kits are great. Very simple titration all in one handed unit. On my two kits (Ca and alk) one goes from red to blue and the other goes from blue to orange. Period--no bloody guessing and it is great. I do like the Salifert for my Mg but I do have to admit that the equipment is kind of cheap whereas the RSP kits use glass vials and high quality syringes etc. and with not a great difference in price. Check out the videos on either BRS or on Red Sea's site.

Yeah, the API is great for cycle testing especially to watch the nh4--no4--no3 curves and would like to graph it (yeah, I would--nerd), but when your lowest resolution is like 5 or 10ppm, that doesn't really tell you squat.

Thanks for the comments.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails