Tang it!

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Tang it!

Post by Jahdiel »

Our new orange shoulder tang is doing something very odd, just wondering if this is a normal occurrance, or if Old Salty's gonna have to set me straight on quarintine proceedures. :oops: It looks like he is stirring up the sand, or scratching his jaw or side on the bottom. Not sure what exactly he is doing, just looks very alarming. I don't see anything wrong with his skin, other than the fact he is scratching his jaw up doing it. :? Does anyone have a tang do this odd behavior?
Attachments
Jaw.jpg
Jaw.jpg (50.56 KiB) Viewed 2273 times
Karen
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

He has parasites. I have had a few do the same thing. Quarantine is a must! If you need info on setting up one check out Andys thread about his clown with marine velvet.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Thanks. Is there any special med you use, or are they all an across the board for parasites.
Karen
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

There are several meds you can use. Problem is catching the infected fish. Second problem is, if he does have bugs, then they are most likely all in your water column. So, a UV sterilizer will kill the free floating bugs in your main tank MAYBE. As for treating the fish, you first have to narrow down what he has and how bad he has it. Then you will find that their are SEVERAL different treatment methods, none of which are a guarantee. Sometimes it is just hit or miss at best. I personally like the fresh water dip and then hypo-salinity, if this still does not work copper is the next step.
old salty
Amoeba

Post by old salty »

If he has gill flukes you can get rid of them by freshwater bath or by just removing them manually.
wet a towel with tank water
hold him in the towel lift the gill flap
if you see some critters attached to the gills use tweezers to crush them then pull them out, CAREFULLY
I personally think the tweezer method is less stressful on the fish (but more stressful on you) than the freshwater bath method.
Tip: A couple shots of tequila before the procedure seems to make the tweezer hand a little steadier. :wink:
old salty
Amoeba

Post by old salty »

Jahdiel,
Watch the fish for a while.
When he rubs, does he appear agitated like he's trying to rub off a parasite?
Does he rub the same side every time?
Does he yawn or flap his gills rapidly.?
Do both gills look normal? Does he hold one side open? or keep one clamped?
Does he look red or swollen around his gills?
Can you see any thing hanging out of the gills?
Is his slime coat normal or does he appear white or frosty looking?
Is he eating?
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

A UV should help with all free swimming parasite
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Well after many attempts to treat the unknown, we tried someones suggestion to use a Melafix treatment for a few days. :cry: Not good! Needless to say, after 24 hrs treatment he was laying on the bottom with all his buddies looking at him like he was supper. I don't think I will buy tangs any more! :(
Karen
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Sorry to here about your tang. I am sure you will get another one one day.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Dang, was this the orange shoulder??
-Josh Murrah
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

It sure was. All's I can say is, I sure am glad you did not get him afterall. Needless to say I had a big all cry last light when I saw him at the bottom. First my little maltese, then fish and coral , my cat is having a very difficult time, and our big rotties are going down hill. Talk about going to have empty nest syndrome. Oh and our son is getting ready to move out. Man I feel like crying again. :cry:
Karen
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

I know how you feel Karen....you can email me anytime.

I had a good old cry cause I had to rearrange my tank last night after a ricordia fell down behind alllll the rock and my new frogspawn was stinging the hell out of my zoa's.....damn thing.....:)
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Thanks Melissa. I've been told I get to emotional, but, they are more than just pets or hobbies to me.
Karen
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Glad I'm not the only one.......Karen, so sorry to hear about that tang, I was sure pulling for him. He was a good lookin-fella! I think you can be sure in knowing you did your best to help him. Let me know if there's anything I can do,

Sue
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Appreciate that Sue. Feeling much better about it all today. Just got caught up in it all I guess.
Karen