Flatworms alert for those I traded with

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I'm guess that a few of the local stores carry it. I decided to get it on line since i had a couple of other things I wanted to get. From what i saw most of your regular on line sites had it.
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

I had flatworms from hell in my 10 gallon and did the siphon thing several times which yes, it made them look like they had gone for the most part. Give it a couple hours and your tank will look like it had never been siphoned. :)

When I moved from my 10 to my 40, I took every piece of coral and rock that I was going to use in the 40 and dipped in FE. The way I did it was to take a small rubbermaid bowl - big enough to put stuff in - and put several drops of flatworm exit in with water from my new tank and dipped/soaked the corals and after several minutes, did a clean water dip (also with water from the new tank) then put the corals into the tank. I even dipped all my snails/crabs. I have no flatworms at all now in my 40 gallon.

I'd recommend flatworm exit, dipping any new corals/snails, etc.
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
Dys
Amoeba

Post by Dys »

salifert actually has a flatworm exit... didnt know about it till I ran into it doing an order.
I'll respect you in the morning, but I won't wake up till noon.
JIM
Amoeba

Post by JIM »

Flat worm exit is the sh-t.Works great I did a back to back dose
and two water changes added carbon and bam! no dam worms!
8)
(YELLING JIM)
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I'm in the middle of my first dose. Might just let things settle and do a second one tomorrow. Its funny just watching the flat worms just fall off the glass. I have some water waiting for a water change. wish me luck. : :?
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Make sure you siphon out as many as you can (I'm sure you already knew that though).
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

All i could see were the ones on the glass. They were a lot smaller then the ones that i've seen on line. I did see most of them on the glass just fall off. I let it sit for about an hour and a half and put in the second dose. I still see a few on the glass though. I guess I need to get more FE and treat it again. I also did a decent size water change after the first dose just to get the dead out and help remove the toxins. I had one cap pull in its polyps before the water change but everything looks good
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Where is the cheepest place to get some flatworm exit? So far the cheepest that I have found is $19 through Rich @PM.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

andy4499 wrote:Where is the cheepest place to get some flatworm exit? So far the cheepest that I have found is $19 through Rich @PM.
yeah it aint cheap...... local that is a good deal I think
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

And after 4 doses I didn't eliminate my flatworms... go figure. I took out about 95% but there are some still kicking. I guess i have some that are resistant to the stuff. I dont' think they are problem FW's but with how they all of a sudden coverd the glass last time they can become a visual problem. I guess I need a yellow coris wrasse. I heard they will pick. I can't go with a 6 line because they will probably kill my fairy wrasses.
Taddster
Amoeba

Flatworms

Post by Taddster »

I never had them before in any of my tanks. Whats so bad about them? Won't the fish eat them? Especially Racoon Butterflies (which will just about eat any invertebrate).

pete
Peter Tad A.S. DePaola
B.S, B.F.A, B.A, M.S, Ph.D.
Specialized in Marine Cephalopods
Scott
Goby

Re: Flatworms

Post by Scott »

Taddster wrote:I never had them before in any of my tanks. Whats so bad about them? Won't the fish eat them? Especially Racoon Butterflies (which will just about eat any invertebrate).

pete
The real problem is that if you have too many the toxins that they contain will kill the fish. Mandarin gobies and 6-line wrasses may eat them but it is a gamble. The red planaria are more of a nuisance. They will cover anything that doesn't move. There are other types of flat worms that eat corals. Some are immune to the FW Exit.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Taddster
Amoeba

Flatworms

Post by Taddster »

There are not other fish that may eat them but those? Wow! What a mess.

pete
Peter Tad A.S. DePaola
B.S, B.F.A, B.A, M.S, Ph.D.
Specialized in Marine Cephalopods
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Marin Depot had it for a few cents more so I bought it there. I would have spent more if I went to PM, because every time I go there I always buy something else. I hope to nock this problem out very soon.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

So I'm at a lose of what to do. Just 1 week after doing a second dose they are coming back again. I'm debating doing a 3rd dose with the entire bottle and shutting everythng down for a few hrs. The other options are:

velvet nudibranch
Yellow coris wrasse
mandarine
halichoeres melanuras --> Wardley's wrasse (these are nice looking and tim had two in a few weeks back).

Either way I just thing i have a strain of FW that will just not die with the FWE. I see no visible damage to anything they are just annoying to me on the glass.