......Hello to the New 225 Tank

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Redfish
Copepod

Canopy Under Way....

Post by Redfish »

The canopy frame work is coming along. Need to finish attaching the trim, place the ceiling and build some doors.

Napoleon_K
Amoeba

Post by Napoleon_K »

I was wondering if that was the case. I have heard nothing but good things about Ocean View, and was planning on ordering my next tank from there.

You don't have to answer, but how much did you pay for that one?
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I can tell you that a 240G (8'x2'x2'), w/ end overflows and drilled, no hardware, ran me about $900 1.5 years ago... Progressive Marine would be your best bet for a good price.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Prices like that just makes you want to buy used. Tanks go for so cheap when someone is getting out of the hobby, never hurts to wait unless you want new.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Very very true. Unfortunately, we had very specific sizing needs, so we had to buy new.
-Josh Murrah
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I think if i were ever in the market for a tank that size i would want it exactly to my liking for plumbing and that kind of stuff. I don't know if Phil posted this but I ran into him about 2 weeks ago and he said he got the tank and had to send it back because they didn't do something right the first time. I guess my point is Phil had in mind exactly what he wanted and how he wanted it. Its sometimes hard to find that in a used tank.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yeah but if you are not real picky on the tank, you can save $$$$
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I agree.. My 135 is a nice tank but I wish it were set up a little different. I bought it used.
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

I did look for about 18 months for the right used tank. I just could not find it. I got more and more picky about what I wanted based on my experiences. I did, in fact, buy and resale two tanks during that period. You can get great deals if you find the right one.

I did not pay retail for the new tank. I traded my labor to build a stand and canopy for a large tank for one of the local shops. The wholesale price for the tank including delivery was about $1100. I do not know what retail would be.

The tank would have cost much less except for the following: The tank is custom sized including 5/8" glass all around except for the bottom which is 3/4". There are two oversized overflows built in with three drilled holes at the bottom of each overflow. The tank is also eurobraced (combed).

We did have some minor problems with the tank initially, but they have been resolved satisfactorily.

I would suggest to anyone looking for a tank 100, 110 or less in size to find a used tank. Once you pass that threshold, they get hard to find used. I also think that once you get above that you get into specific needs.

Phil
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Definitely agree on that... I bought used tanks for sump & refuge due to finding used ones in the size I wanted easily, but when it came to getting the right size/configuration, there was no doubt I had to order one to my specs. Awesome job on the stand/canopy, looks great!
-Josh Murrah
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

hey phil,
where do you live in pcola. I would like to stop by sometime and see it in person. Also if you need an extra hand with anything feel free to send me a PM.
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Are you just putting in 3 front doors on the canopy or are you putting in the side doors too?
Wind me up!
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

i gotta guess that you live in the inverness area maby on a culde-sac or a curved road by looking at the pic with the sun going down and looking to the far right and see the well groomed yards ( man i wish my grass would get thicker!!!) just a guess in the inverness area or langley spanishtrail area

let me know if im close

chad
gitting things back in order and starting over!!!
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

I live in Cordova Place (he says, mortgaged to the eyeballs) adjacent to the airport off of Summit. Yeah, it is one of those neighborhoods where a certain percentage of the neighbors take great pride in pointing out those who do not do enough yard work, or park cars in the street, or park the boat in the driveway over night, or leave the garbage can out too long, or saw too late at night, or leave the garage door open too long, or have too many guests at the party,......etc. As you probably can guess, I have learned the rules through warnings.

Anyone is welcome to stop by and see the progress. PM me and we will make arrangements. I am home every evening just about. I will need some help moving this monstrosity into the house at some point.

The canopy will have three doors in the front and a door on each end. It improves access and matches the geometry of the cabinet better that way. The lights will be suspended in the canopy.

Phil
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

Redfish wrote:it is one of those neighborhoods where a certain percentage of the neighbors take great pride in pointing out ......As you probably can guess, I have learned the rules through warnings
Exact reason why I'm probably gunna be buying 30-40 acres of land in Tennessee...far away from neighbors. I got stupid white trash neighbors here...but I don't know if the obnoxious hoity-toity snobby neighbors are any better.
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.