Electricity is killing us.

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Wouldn't you probably save as much as a service call costs in a month to get your system checked out. :)
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

been there, done that, we did it once when it was still under warranty... it's cold, but it doesn't cool down the house... tonnage is right... we're thinking the attic isn't venting properly... I have on my to-do list to get some temp guages and check the attic temps on a hot day.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

You could always try an electric attic fan.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Actually medium and large tanks dramatically change the heat load on a room/house. The room where my 75 was was always hot-thought it was the large south facing window. I had the airbalance crew from work come in, said heat load was correct and airflow was correct. They advised me to move a duct from the living room into that room. I did not make any changes but moved the 75 out and put the 120 in the living room. Now this summer the back bedroom is the most comfortable room in the house but the living room is hot.

When a contractor runs a heat load on a house the appliances are taken into consideration. In my estimate a reef tank should be calculated something like a 1 close drier that runs 24/7 per 100-150g because of the heat and humidity it puts out.

I am experimenting with a small dehumidifier now. I keep it set low, does not come on at all during the day because the air runs so much but it pulls about a gal a night out between 12-6am.

Joe
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I use a 70 pint dehumidifier on and off... even set to it's lowest setting (70%) it runs 24/7... fills the container in about 12-16 hours.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

The guy "weatherson" had the right idea by pumping the heat from his light strip into the attic then back out of the house.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

UHM :o
Last edited by Jahdiel on Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karen
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Interesting you say that snoopdog. I just asked Billy when we put the tank in the wall, Why not put one of those vents like in the bathroom in there, let it suck it all up and out. Is this the type vent you are talking about? If it isn't, do you think it would work anyway?
You all can imagine how this place feels since the storm with 2-26/1-20/1-90/ & 1-125 all out here in the LR & DR. UG I feel like I am in a sauna. :wink:
Karen
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I've seen a lot of people using the inline duct fans, they're a little pricy, but that's what I've been wanting to setup when I redo my tank.

like this:

They sell one at home depot for around $140 I think. If it will be in it's own room, I don't see why you couldn't just use a bathroom fan or a sidewall exhaust fan.. or maybe one of those duct booster fans they're very cheap.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Follow the thread and all will be revealed.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... genumber=1
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

If I remember right bathroom fans are expensive. Most bathroom fans are quite loud too, not something you want to hear all of the time by your tank. I am sure there are some quiet alternatives out there that are not expensive.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

snoopdog wrote:If I remember right bathroom fans are expensive. Most bathroom fans are quite loud too, not something you want to hear all of the time by your tank. I am sure there are some quiet alternatives out there that are not expensive.
Actually we only paid about $40 for each of ours last year and they are fairly quiet. I don't think this would be an issue for us because the tank will be in the back room closet, with only the tank showing from the LR. My question would be, could they pull the humidity out well enough?
Karen
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

Why not get an Exhaust fan that you use over a stove?
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Snakeman wrote:Why not get an Exhaust fan that you use over a stove?
That's a good idea; in fact I was in H/D looking around, and they have ducting kits for retrofitting a hood that were really neat, came with all the ducting to exhaust the stuff...
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

For the speed of the fan look @ the CFM rating and then how many cubic feet your room is. Since you're mainly looking at getting the humidity out, I wouldn't think you would not want too much room turnover.
Could be wrong, but I don't think you need much turnover for it.