Video Card help

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

andy4499
Chromis

Video Card help

Post by andy4499 »

I am going to buy a new video card for my computer (might get one for both computers). Should I go with a 128 MB or a 256 MB card. What does every one else use. Also if anyone knows where a good deal on a card or a stick of RAM PC2100 DDR 512. Please let me know. I am wanting to upgrade these in both of my computers.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

My thing is to go on www.newegg.com and look at the reviews and what I want to spend. The reviews are done by real people so I trust most of them.

Some ideas.

$62.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814145076

$87.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102326

$185.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127150

$319.00 Badass Mama
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150102
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

256mb is overkill about 95% of the time.. Unless you are hard core gaming, get the 128mb and go with a higher end card. A higher end card with 128mb will actually run better than a low end card with 256mb. Go to Toms Hardware and they show actual, mostly unbiased, comparisons between cards.
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

And never judge a card to be faster because it has more ram. Alot of 128mb cards smoke the 256 flavor. Yes Toms is a good start if you can find the data you need.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

What do you want to do with it? Why do you think you need a more powerful card?

Keefus
Captain Barbosa: "The code is more what you call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Turner."
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

Nevermind ... I found your problem in the WOW post.

Kevin is right, a lot of off brand 256 cards will not run as well as you would think. A good nVidia 128 or ATI Radeon 128 card will do fine in most cases. However, with new, more demanding games and expansion packs coming out all the time, you may consider a 256.

I had to update to a faster system buss S775 board, CPU, DDR2 ram and a 256 true ATI Radeon card in mine and can play Far Cry and Call of Duty with no gitters, freezes or frame loss. It cost about 200.00 or better, but you might be happier in the long run. And always, after install, go to the manufacture's website and d/l the newest drivers as well as Microsoft for the latest Direct X.

Then again, those games are processor and FSB dependent. I don't play WOW so I can't speak about that game's system requirements.

But that's just my opinion, and you know what they say.
Captain Barbosa: "The code is more what you call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Turner."
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I picked up two of these today one for each of my computers. I should get them here in a few days.
$62.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814145076

I also upgraded the memory in both computers too from 256 to 768 in both computers. I should have no problems with playing any games for a while. I should not have to upgrade anything else for a while also.

Thanks for the help.
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

Looks like a good purchase. That one guy says he can play the two toughest games out, Far Cry and Doom 3, which are very video intensive games. And for 62.00 ... Nice shopping. But you can still go to nVidia and get the newest video drivers.

Enjoy ... I know I do.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Remember to go to www.omegadrivers.net to get optimized drivers.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

Is that better than the mfgs site?
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Hell yeah.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.