100g fish list

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

reefer21
Amoeba

100g fish list

Post by reefer21 »

I'm going to need some help deciding on what fish I can put in my new 100g tank (60x19x20). I do not have the tank setup yet, but I do currently have the tank in my possession. Let me know if I'm going to have any complications with any of these fish, also how many fish can I put in the tank? I'm thinking about putting these types of fish in my tank:

Ones in an asterisk are ones I already own, unless stated otherwise.

* Orange Spotted Blenny (1)
Green Reef Chromis (5)
(* own 1) True Percula Clownfish (2)
Blue Tang (1)
Yellow Tang (3)
Purple Tang (1)
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

You may have some fighting with the purple and yellow tangs.
reefer21
Amoeba

Post by reefer21 »

andy4499 wrote:You may have some fighting with the purple and yellow tangs.
so you think, maybe going with a Odd # would work?
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Ummm, so you are wanting to put 5 tangs in a 100 gallon tank? Maybe you should consider .....one of them. Remember they're territorial, get fairly large when grown, too many will certainly lead to stress, and stress tends to lead to ich, especially with tangs who seem to be prone to it.

Just my opinion. :)
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

Yea or you might get these guys after you.[/img]
Attachments
tangpolice.jpg
tangpolice.jpg (38.85 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

Not trying to be part of the tang police but why put that many Tangs in that size tank when you could get different more colorful fish that won't end up fighting for space because they don't get too big?

Maybe some will call me a tang police but now I have one large fish and he isn't even half as big as he could get and I don't think he has enough room in my tank right now and its a 135.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

reefer21 wrote:
andy4499 wrote:You may have some fighting with the purple and yellow tangs.
so you think, maybe going with a Odd # would work?
It is not the number of them that would be the problem. I have always been told that a yellow tang and a purple tang would be prone to fighting each other because they look the same. I have never put them together in a tank before though. How knows they may be ok. Blue tangs are very prone to being stressed out and getting ich all the time. And if one fish get them most of the time all the fish will get it. As far as putting that many tangs it that size tank. I have 3 yellows and a blue in my 125 gal and have had no problems and a friend of mine has 7 yellow tangs in a 125 gal and they all are doing fine.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Reefer21: I think it depends on what you want for the tank.

If you want a healthy tank with fish who are comfortable and thriving, do some reading...try searches on Reef Central and Wet Web Media on Tangs. You'll find alot of opinions as well as info. I like wet web media for information, they do some interesting articles.

If you're expecting to have massive amounts of algae, get some snails.

If you want to put lots of tangs in a tank because they look cool, that's your decision. It always helps, though, to be informed.

Good luck! :)
JIM
Amoeba

tangs

Post by JIM »

i have a large naso and a med size yellow tang in my 75 gallon with
a med maroon clown and two chromes one by color blenny i feel i have to many fish.but they all get along great. :D
(YELLING JIM)
reefman8471
Amoeba

100 gallon

Post by reefman8471 »

I have not mixed Yellow and Purple Tangs either. In my own tank at least.
The Purple Tang is slightly larger and more aggressive than the Yellow Tang however. If you want to mix the two it is best to put the Yellow Tang in first. People have had success mixing several tangs in what would seem to be tanks that are too small. I believe that is because fish are individuals and there are always exceptions. I would not put more than two tangs in a 100 gallon tank to be on the safe side. I'm concervative in that way though. You might want to try a Yellow eyed Tang with either a Yellow or Purple Tang. The Yellow eyed Tang eats detritus as well as some algae while the Yellow and Purple eat mainly algae.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

They tried adding a yellow tang to the display at B&B after the pruple tang was in there (not my decision) and the pruple tang ran it ragged. I think your best bet would be to add them all the tangs that are in the same species at the same time, make sure they are relatively small, and cross your fingers and hope for the best.
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

It can be done I did it all at the same time rearranged the tank and threw them in sorry about the pic they would not be still when I asked them to.:)
Attachments
fowler 002.jpg
fowler 002.jpg (70.74 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
reefer21
Amoeba

Post by reefer21 »

thanks everyone for the replies and the concern. I have heard from my LFS that blue tangs are prone to stress really easy too. I might just hold off for now. Who knows, I'm kinda skepitical anyways on spending $50+ on a fish. Thanks casey for letting me know it can be done!