Mysterious Invertebrate

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

SixLDfalcon
Amoeba

Mysterious Invertebrate

Post by SixLDfalcon »

I've just started my tank about two months ago. It's doing great but now I'm starting to see a bunch of things that have tentacles like an anemone and a body like a featherduster. There are a bunch of tiny ones and then theres one about 3/4inch long. Anyone know what they are, and if I should be keeping them? Thanks.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

could be a few things, if you can take a picture and post it, that would help to get an ID.

could be feather dusters which are good, and could be aiptasia which you don 't want... try to post a picture
SixLDfalcon
Amoeba

Post by SixLDfalcon »

After looking at some yahoo images, I do think it's aiptasia. Should I just be pulling them out or is there a treatment?

Edit>>>
Does anyone know if paying the full price for Benghia is actually better than using peppermint shrimp?
I have two pettermint shrimp already.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

there are a few ways to go about getting rid of them.

option one: get something called joe's juice and use a syringe with a needle and drip it into its mouth, or inject into the base if you are unable to drip into the mouth. ( if you have lots of aiptasia, then i would only do this a few at a time, as too much could knock off your waters chemistry...)

option two: (what i did) take some tank water.. @ 1 cup, and boil it in the microwave... take that syringe and needle and inject it into the guy... you will have to be fast, as it will retreat fast... I had to do this a few times, but after 3 shots with the boiling water it never came back.

option three: some people use a kalk mixture to destroy them in the same manner above by injecting the aiptasia

option four and more: some people have used lemon juice (in small amounts) to get rid of them as well.

There are many ways of doing this, but the cheapest and fastest way that I got my problem taken care of was to get the syringe from cvs (diabetic supplies) and boil some water... I try to not use any chemicals if I can help it.

Where are you located at?
SixLDfalcon
Amoeba

Post by SixLDfalcon »

Well, Im in pennsylvania
I will try the boiling water option, though these things are throughout my sand and Im not sure if ill find all of them...There is a main one though, is that the one giving off the spores?
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

Zach, Is that you? What does your name mean?

I got a call about a month ago from my mom that my aunt and cousin were at That Fish Place, I'm sure some of you have seen the on line store. It is located in Central Pennsylvania. Well they were about to buy a bunch of fish and knew my parents had a tank. My mom called me to ask for me to talk to them and give them a little info about the stuff. So Zach finally sent me an e-mail about his setup and I told him to come here and everyone could help him out.

Everyone take it easy on him. He is still has nightmares from when I told him that I was going to hang him up upside down from his feet in my basement back home and let the spiders crawl all over him.

Zach if it is you let me know so I don't think I just made a fool out of myself. Oh and welcome to this site. I'm sure that there is a local club up in your area you could get involved with at some point. You will get to see my tank in July at least.

Drew

btw I'm sure you have a camera around somewhere that you can take a picture with. Get us some pictures. Oh and make a thread with all the equipment and fish & coral that you have in your tank if you want more advise so we know what you have in it. I think i deleted that e-mail.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

SixLDfalcon were in PA are from, I grew up in PA and moved here 15 yrs ago.
Karen
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

PA people are crazy.... :shock: I'm from Reading and Zach lives out in Lancaster, near Hearshy actually.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Holy crap that is were I lived. I was born in Williamsport, moved to Bernville at age 9, then married and moved to Lebanon area. WOW what a small world. Did you know any one with the last name Brush?
Karen
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

We talked about this one time at Eddies house I think it was. I don't think we had any friends in common up there. Zach is a young one up there, possibly the youngest member of this forum now, 16. I lived up in Reading until I came down to Florida for college. I know that we have family and friends in the Bernville area. Zach moved to Lebenon when he was little, very little.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I remember our talk, but dont know if I ever spoke of or to Zack. Sorry I got excited when I saw PA, and thought it was him I was responding to. :oops:
Karen
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Yea, you never talked to Zach before. I'm sure he will have a lot of questions for everyone here. I told him to ask the group so he would have other ideas then just what I tell him. I just told him that he might be able to get the old tank that is at my parents house. It is a 110 tall that my brother and I bought when we were in 8th and 9th grade or something like that.

Anyway Karen, will you guys have any type of LPS for sale or trade sometime? Seems I've lost all but a few acros so I'm going to go with LPS this time around. I'll even do zoa frags or whatever. Maybe I'll make it ot the meeting next month.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I am still dealing with livestock problems myself, so I wouldnt want to chance putting anything in someone elses tank till I get it under control. But when I do, I'll be sure and post.
Karen
SixLDfalcon
Amoeba

Post by SixLDfalcon »

Yeah I'll basically take any advice I can get here. I'm still getting used to marine aquariums and now I have to deal with these tiny anemones that I thought were cool...
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Can you see the base of this thing you were asking about or is it coming out from a crevice or hole in the rock? What color are the tentacles? There are other things that can be mistaken for aptasia if you aren't sure. Rock anemones have a base that you can see and usually clear tentacles. They are cool and won't really be a problem. Aptasia are kind of a brownish color and extend out with a soft base like a mushroom.

Interesting, I have a friend living in Lancaster, and a few friends that are from there.