Zoa lovers - Palytoxin Warning

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

DrHank
Amoeba

Zoa lovers - Palytoxin Warning

Post by DrHank »

Found this thread from RC that I think warrants you folks reading.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... id=1083843

I wasn't aware of this and I think that we all should be.
Doc :D
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Those warnings go out every so often, and it's definately a good thing. You tend to take for granted that people know about it, and so many don't, so thanks for posting it.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Yeah, I don't play around with the second most toxic non-proteinaceous toxin known to man. Keep in mind all these people are getting infinitesimally tiny amounts of the stuff, so they don't experience the full effects. Pretty much universally devastating to cells.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Michelle
Amoeba

Post by Michelle »

That's sad, really. People need to be careful of what they do with toxic corals, but even worse is that rather than find the corals a new tank to grow in he decided the best idea would be to boil them off the rocks. :? We all have environmental responsibilities in this hobby, and it bothers me to hear about anyone purposefully killing their aquarium inhabitants. We all know that the things we put in our tanks are going to grow... if you can't handle the rate at which something grows, don't buy it... or hook up with your local reef club who will always be there to take frags of your zoanthids and xenia and whatever else grows like a week in your tank. There's always a better solution.
Thanks!
Michelle @ Fat Fish
28851 N. Main St., Ste. D
Daphne, AL 36526
251-626-0926
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

I couldn't agree with Michelle more. If you don't want to be responsible for the creatures which grow or show up in your tank, you need to find another hobby!
Doc :D
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Yepper. Well said, Michelle.