Cleaning Substrate

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

crsswift70
Copepod

Cleaning Substrate

Post by crsswift70 »

I wanted to get an idea of how often, or better yet how, people clean their substrate? I've got a fine sand that i don't think can be siphon cleaned.
reefman8471
Amoeba

Sand

Post by reefman8471 »

It is generally best if you get animals that can clean it out for you such as nerite snails, sea cucumbers, and brittle stars. Also, when you do water changes you can move your siphon hose gently along the surface of the sand bed and remove anything lying on top of the sand.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

There really isn't anything on top. It's a silt like substance within the sand. if you stir up the sand, it creates a little dark dust cloud that settles back down. I'm sure it's because ive neglected it.
reefman8471
Amoeba

Sand

Post by reefman8471 »

Nerite snails will bury in the sand and may be able to help you. Sea cucumbers as well.

James
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

Actually Nassarius snails are the ones that burry in the sand and do the best job of taking in any left overs that make it to the sand bed. The Cerith snails also burry in the sand as well but tend to migrate to the glass at night. The Nerite snails are not sand snails if I recall correctly. The local nerites tend to live in salt marshes on emergant plants such as Spartina alternifloro or Juncus sp. I don't believe they like to be submurged at all times. I'm not sure if anyone locally is even carrying Nerite snails.

So if you want something to stir the sand get some nassarius snails.
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

There is also the ever popular sand sifting goby. My personal favorite is the Orange spot or diamond watchman goby. Make sure that your tank is covered with egg crate. They are notorious carpet surfers.
Doc :D
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

DrHank wrote:There is also the ever popular sand sifting goby. My personal favorite is the Orange spot or diamond watchman goby. Make sure that your tank is covered with egg crate. They are notorious carpet surfers.
If you want pure white sand I'd agree that this is one way to go. My sand was never as white as when i had one. I'd be hesitant on putting one in a smaller sized tank though.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Multiple Cucumbers will fix your "silt" problem.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

it's just a 29gal tank. I have thought about getting a goby to stir things up. I'm not sure if it's big enough to keep him fed though. Do they eat flake food as well or only sift sand. it's really the "silt" that worries me. There really isn't any particulate matter thats visible besides that. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I know i need SOMETHING to stir up the top level of sand, just trying to determine what.

edit: snoop, how much are they normally and how many for a 29gal tank?
reefman8471
Amoeba

nerite snails

Post by reefman8471 »

Fishfood you are right about the nerite snails...my bad. I really wasn't sure if it was nerite or nassarius snails that stir the sand.

James
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

crsswift70 wrote:snoop, how much are they normally and how many for a 29gal tank?
Well depends of the type but I guess most are $10 each for like a Tigertail. If you are actually getting that on the sand I would suggest at least two. I have one in our 29 gallon that is probably over a foot long when stretched out, I have a suspicion he is about to breed and "split" himself in half. Since we purchased more hermits, crabs, snails, etc and increased feeding he cannot keep up anymore. If he does not split soon I may be picking up another one.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

He'd be needed to clean the sand. My tank has a good bit of LR in it though, i don't think 2 would have enough room. thanks for the info though. i will look around to see if i can find a cucumber and some snails today.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

You are right down the street from fat fish. They always have nassarius snails in. They might not right now since they just relocated but they have the larger and the smaller ones most of the time.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

How many really depends on your load and feeding habits.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

well, i got a cuke.. and i can see where 2 might work, They aren't speed demons are they :D It's pretty much stayed in one spot and made a big pile of poo. My daughter was of course fascinated and disgusted by it. I'll let him work a bit before i decide on getting another. Snails next!