Acropora efflorescens - Very Sad News :(

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

Xster
Astrea snail

Acropora efflorescens - Very Sad News :(

Post by Xster »

If anyone is interested in a frag, please let me know. Only serious inquiries, frags will start at $40 depending on size. I am getting this colony in Tuesday, and I will frag it right away for interested parties. I am paying for

I have another colony already, but it has encrusted on a huge rock that will be a PITA to remove and frag. And I am trying to make life a little more easier for the future this time, by fragging it before hand.

I honestly think this new colony is much better looking as far as coloration is concerned. The body of the new efflo is greenish/pink compared to my current one which is tannish/brownish!!Urgh!!!

But here is a couple of pics provided from the vendor. It is approximately 8 inches in diameter.

Here is a full shot:
Here is a closeup
Last edited by Xster on Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

What size frags you gunna do X?

Looks nice. I am about to try some new salt mixes and do not want to add anything new just in case.....but this might be an exception :D
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

How do you frag a round colony like that ? Break it down the middle then into quarters ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

I think I will cut a strip off with a dremel tool. Probably a strip from the most "oblong" or oval side of the coral, then cut the strip into smaller pieces. I don not want to disfigure the coral too much. I don't know what size frags yet until the coral gets here Tuesday. It is hard to guess without it, maybe at least 1.5 square inches.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I've seen someone take a dremel and cut out a donut shape. Basically the outer inch and a half. You maintian the shape but it is just smaller. Then cut the outside ring up into frags.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

So i am guessing the heat of the bit causes no problems ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Here is a link to RC where someone used the methon I mentioned.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... =efflopora
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Well, sorry to say that this efflorescens has RTn'ed on me starting last night. I tried the super glue trick, which has worked before for me, but to no avail. Also did a couple of iodine dips. There was some other medication out there from the vet, but I did not have time, since it is Sunday.

I think it was pretty stressed out from shipping, plus I fragged it the next day with a dremel. I didn't take that too well either. Also, I had a little water changing accident before leaving for the meeting, which didn't help the coral's stress. All in all, I cant put my finger on a certain event that can caused this catastrophe.

I dont think the other frags survived either. Mike's died in the bag, Terry's RTN-ed also. I dont know about Joe. One other guy I shipped to in Tennesee, I have not heard from him since he received his frag pack.

This sucks, I feel like a POS, for letting this happen. But on the positive note. RTN events happens to the best reefers out there. I honestly think that the coral was going downhill before it arrived at my house.

This is my first completely lost RTN event and hopefully I dont see many, if any, in the future. *crossing fingers*. This has completely piss me off regarding this hobby. It was such a beautiful piece. I will now find a rock big enough, so I can hide under it.

Sorry about the long post, sincerely,
John
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Sorry to hear it John,

but this:
This is my first completely lost RTN event
Is really saying something... wow. I think you're way ahead on that.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Thanks Brandon, I needed that. Now I am crawling out from under my rock. My mourning has ceased. I have other corals that needs some TLC. :D
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Well, Mike, Shawn, and Terry came over yesterday. The efflo has been banished to the sump. Mike looked at it, and states "There is still SOME color left." So....... :? Just FYI, I guess.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Does it have any polyps extended? If you can't feed it (GP or something similar) you should keep it is a fair amount of light. Maybe you got lucky and it survived.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Its dead as a door nail!!!
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

yeah i just said that to cheer him up :roll:
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »