Group Buy - Calcium Hydroxide (Kalkwasser)

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

Xster
Astrea snail

Group Buy - Calcium Hydroxide (Kalkwasser)

Post by Xster »

Hey Jeff, I was wondering if we are doing this group buy(s) for the other chemicals and such, why not think about getting some pure kick-arse kalkwasser also. Highly purified with very little, if any, of the impurities. You should know a soure for this. I am looking for some reef or lab grade stuff.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

LOL... OK, Jeff's chemical shop is closed until noon. :D

Well, we buy a "cheap" version of CaO by the truck at work. I think it cost about $0.025/lb (yep 2.5 cents/lb). Unfortunately its not he same quality as the Balls pickling lime. Our stuff does have high concentrations of magnesium though, which is good. It's the chunks of rock that come with it you probably won't like.

I'll have too look around for a different supplier, we typically buy the 'farm' grade CaO at work.
Wind me up!
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I just used up a whole bag of Ms. Wage's pickling lime within the last month, so I need it in bulk too, seriously.

In a fit of stupidness, I dumped in about 1/4 bag the other night.... wooooooah, what a bad idea... I stressed everything out, the toadstools and gorgonian shed, etc....
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

<b> ***Disregard - Brainfart the info below is not about the same thing*** </b>

They sell it in bulk at Home Depot. There is a study Holmes-Farley did comparing the purity of different forms of CaCl. I'll see if I can dredge it up.
Last edited by Brandon on Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I'd like to see that.
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Purity of CaCl

Post by Brandon »

<b> ***DISREGARD THIS INFO BELOW ---It is not Kalkwasser*** </b>

Found it:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2004/chem.htm

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... kling+lime

From Randy Holmes-Farley
I just submitted an article to one of the online magazines on the purity of various calcium chloride brands. One of the results is that the DowFlake 77-80% clacium chloride available from Home Depot for $11/50 pounds is, IMO, suitable for aquarium use.
Something else:
Dowflake CaCl is also available as a swimming pool supply, for those of you living in places where it's not used as a deicer.
Last edited by Brandon on Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I like it! So, I need to find this at a pool supply place huh?
I do believe that the Dow material will likely be acceptable in many applications, and for those on a tight budget, it seems like a reasonable choice. Toward that end, next month I will provide a recipe for making an inexpensive two part additive system out of the Dow calcium chloride (or any brand you prefer), baking or washing soda, and Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate).
-Josh Murrah
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I called Pioneer Pools, just down the road from where I live, and they have the exact product/brand (DowFlake CaCL) for $21.99 for a 50lb. bag. I'm getting a bag next week (too broke this week)... I'll let everyone know! :)
-Josh Murrah
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Wait guys! Don't move too fast here. Remember that CaO reacts with water to make Ca(OH)2. When added to our tanks we get Ca and -OH groups. This is good.

When you add CaCl2, you get Ca+ and a bunch of Cl- groups which will through your ion balance out of wack over time. Where are the Cl groups going to come out?

Salt water is H2O and NaCl which will be ions in the water as Na+ and Cl-, but they are balanced, so you don't want the ion balance to get off too much. I have read many times that CaCl2 addition is OK for a quick shift in Ca levels, but long term use can be very bad!

Stick with either a balanced additive or CaO! You don't want to get out of balance here.
Wind me up!
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Hey Guys, Randy Holmes Farley was stating that you will need the Dow Flakes to self make a two-part additive, like B-Ionic or C-Balance. This is not meant to replace Kalkwasser. He is planning to publish a "DIY" method of making this two part calcium and alkalinity for your tank in the Reefs.org online magazine. I will take a look to see if it has. Be careful guys, just wanted to clear this up.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Doh! You're right.. not sure what I was thinking, CaCl is not Ca(OH)2
Their is some mention of other lime sources in the reefcentral listing.. but not sure of purity.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

There is an article out there that discusses kalkwasser purity and mentions using lime from Home Depot... I have no clue where it was/is.. THought that was the one I saw, didn't really pay that much attention, sorry.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Damn..... I thought you guys were onto something.... of course, Ms. Wage's Pickling Lime is already dirt cheap, like $1-2 or so for a bag.
-Josh Murrah
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

ShagMan wrote:Damn..... I thought you guys were onto something.... of course, Ms. Wage's Pickling Lime is already dirt cheap, like $1-2 or so for a bag.
Shagman, the Dow Flakes is the main ingredient in this DIY two part additive (like B-Ionic) that Randy Holmes Farley will unveil in next month's Advance Aquarist Online Magazine. So I think, he is still "on to something." Just not yet.

In regards to the pickling lime, personally, I have heard that it does have more impurities that other forms of kalkwasser. Just what I have heard.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Will a two-part keep calcium like the lime? I'm not any good with information about the two-part like the B-Ionic.
-Josh Murrah