First Nano

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

NM354
Copepod

First Nano

Post by NM354 »

I had no idea that this forum existed till the other day. Anyway I am in the process of putting my first nano together so let me know what you think.
20 gallon H
Coralife dual 65w pc
30 lbs LS
20 lbs aragonite
Prizm deluxe skimmer
Cascade 300 for a fuge
16 lbs LR (so far I took the only good looking pieces from B&B at the time)
160 gph powersweep

My fish plans are two black & white black ocellaris clown, yasha hase goby, pistol shrimp, and cleaner shrimp
I also plan to do a RBTA.
I am not quite sure what corals I want so far. I do know that I want to get some trumpets and some zooanthids.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Welcome! It sounds like you have it all planned out.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I see no reason it would not work perfectly. You may want to rethink the powersweep. Some people do not have a problem with there, but alot of others say theres has to be cleaned too often to keep them "sweeping".
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I agree with rethinking the powersweep idea. They are really bulky, add alot of heat and don't work well for long. You might consider a maxi-jet......much less of a pain.
That setup is very similar to my 20H.
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

I would have to agree with snoop. Sounds good but the powersweeps are a pain. I used 2 of them a while back and they lasted about 2 months (granted I used the powersweep 228 for 270gph but I am sure there isn't much difference). B&B quit carrying them because of the complaints (according to 1 of their personnel). Still makes for a decent powerhead (I guess). My 2 are used for mixing salt. Good luck with the rest.

Jeremy
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Despite all the bad hype about Rio pumps and am growing very partial to them. I have both Rio and Maxijet pumps and i really like these guys. I bought about 12 Rio pumps back when Pets.com was going aout of business. I got most of them for $6 shipped and they have been great. The footprint of the Rio powerhead is very small, the screen has great coverage and hard to clog. The powercords are smaller so they have less chance to move the pump around in the tank. For there size the Rio pump pushes out alot more water compared to the Maxijet. I don't really have a problem with my Maxijets other than they are quite large.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

Thanks for the replies. I thought about all of those things when getting the powersweep. But all you have to do is just clean it about once every two months and from what i have heard they work great. The only downside that i have seen is that they are pretty bulky. Thanks again for the replies.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

You have to also think that do you really want to have to pull it out and clean it ? I have seen powerheads completely covered with Zoos and still running fine. Can you imagine how long a powerhead has to stay in a tank to get completely covered with coral ? Personally i want to buy that brand !
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

You really can't beat maxi-jets. Unless your Calcium or Alk gets too high they never need cleaning. I even used them on a wavemaker for a while and they always started. On top of that they are less than $20 each for the 1200.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
tanker stanker
Amoeba

Post by tanker stanker »

Call me crazy, but I'd also ditch the skimmer on such a small tank. As long as you do a small water change every week or so, you can save yourself the trouble, and the money. But that's just me. Opinions vary.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I run no skimmers for 6 months now, no problems here.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

well here is a little update on where i am at right now.
still waiting to get more live rock in at the store. (this could take a while)
I got my suplements in the mail today
-Tech CB A&B
-Iodine
-Strontium & Molybdenum
and a mag float.

I am going to test my water when i go to work today. I need to get something. I heard that hermits will mess up corals and coraline alge. but everyone says i should get them. what do you suggest to start out with?
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

I have a Yasha Hashi/pistol shrimp combo in my nano (10 gallon) - be forewarned, they will rearrange your sandbed/rocks - Mine have dug at least 5 holes - they've covered up 2 and are currently using 3 - you won't see them for about a month, then the fish will start to show himself after you introduce them to the tank. Wonderful little excavators (well, the shrimp is anyways). Everynow and then I see Linus (the shrimp) carrying rocks and bits of shell out of his lair. He's a master craftsman. Very meticulous of where he places his rocks and shells. Even placed a toothpick I had a ricordia frag stuck on over the side door like a lintel. :D

You may have to reinforce your live rock a few times. I've had to pick up ricordia, xenia, zoo's numerous times because the rocks were shifted....:)
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I've got a bunch of hermits in my main tank ( probably between 30 to 50) an they don' t really bother anything. All of my coral is either glued down or is attached to the rock so knocking stuff over is not a problem for me. I would like to get about Fifty more. I think they do a good job as a cleaning crew. They took care of the hair algae problem in my 10 gal nano.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

thanks for the replies. My water checked out perfect so now i just need to find some things to put in there. i guess it will be some hermits. thanks for the info snakeman. Hopefully the store will get another yasha hase in soon, if not i need to find another goby i like as much as the yasha.