Alternative to cable

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Phisher
Hermit Crab

Alternative to cable

Post by Phisher »

I just found out our new house cannot get get internet access, aaaggghhh!!!!!

Whats a good alternative (if any), DSL?
Anyone with info on a good or bad provider?

Joe
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

ive had bellsouth DSL for 2 years now....I LOVE IT!!!!
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I've got Bellsouth DSL and I like it. With bellsouth it depends on how far you are from the junction box. The further you are the slower your service will be.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Looks like I'll be going that way. Expensive. Does it come in over the phone line? Does it interfere or do they run a second line? Does that cost extra?

Joe
opiy
Amoeba

Post by opiy »

the dsl isnt bad. yes it does go through the phone line. make sure your computer is near a phone jack. they probably charge you alot to run a new one. there is satellite but ive heard that its very costly, not very fast, and it goes out with a storm like a regular dish. Like stated earlier, DSL depends on how far you are from the main node. I think they have a way you can check that online to see if you are serviceable. Shame you cant get a cable modem, I think its the best for high speed but im probably biased since im a cable installer :)

BTW with DSL you have to put traps on every phone line in the house that has a phone on it. If you dont put one, everytime you pick up the phone or if it rings ( cant remember) you will lose modem connection.

Also try to get the westell dsl modem. they stay on all the time kinda like a cable modem. so no dialing in to connect to high speed.

Hope this helped some

Larry
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

If you go with a wireless router you can put your computer anywhere but put your modem and router where the line comes in. I suggest the linksys G type wireless router. Not as fast as direct but easy to install and very clean. I installed one on both my daughters computers. One in an apartment in Mobile and the other at USA.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

All you have to do is put filters on the main jack going to your computer. They can put a upgraded phone box with filters in it on your house for free. I've never been disconected when I answer the phone or when I talk on it while i'm surfing. Get the phone company to come out and test you lines to see what kind of speed you will get before you suscribe to it. Bellsouth dsl is $50 a month + your phone bill.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

man they are gittin you at 50 bucks for dsl over there ive been on bellsouth dsl for little over a year and upgraded to the extream i pay a total of 39.00 for dsl plus a bhone bill of 25.00 i have an outside longdistance carrier ( i once talked to my brother in the nave while he was in italy for over an hour and it only cost me 5.42!!!) i love the dsl cox sucked in my area (ninemile rd pensacola) never once had any prob with the dsl

but i did just buy a new house and hope to have no probs with the dsl there we will see

hth

chad
gitting things back in order and starting over!!!
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

110chadman I wished my was that cheap. I do have dsl extream for $5 more a month. That $50-$55 price I was talking about is all the fees and taxes and stuff added up. I'm not sure on my base rate before all the add on fees. Who is your long distance carrier? I might have to get that. I sighed up with sprint a couple year ago and got 40,000 flyier mile and made less than 5 long distance calls. I cancealed it after I got all the miles I could. That two round trip air line tickets to anywhere in the us.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Man that sucks, more crap to buy.

My simple mind cannot comprehend why Cableone has CABLE service to my area but not INTERNET. It runs through the same dam line. I love living in Mississippi. More $ = less speed, makes perfect sense.

Joe
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Bellsouth DSL Extreme

5 Laptops running laptops
1 desktop running wireless
2 wireless routers in bridged mode

==== One happy nerd
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate