Freshwater puffers

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

andy4499
Chromis

Freshwater puffers

Post by andy4499 »

I am thinking of setting up a tank with a couple of freshwater puffers. Daniel told me that they are brackish fish I am not sure of all the details of this type of fish. Does anyone know anything about these fish? Daniel you may be able to help me on this. I know they have to have a little salt in the water. Can you use regular sand that you have in salt water or does it have to be gravel. This is what I am doing. I have a 10 gal salt water tank that I am wanting to make into a freshwater for these two fish, and am wondering if I can use the sand I have in it.
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

aquarium sand is good for figure-8 puffers. Best bet is a nice mix of crushed coral and sand....with LOTS of hiding places(places to hide under) Most people with F8s tend to make the tank look more like a river, with green plants, stony substrate and driftwood. But coming from a SW interest...I prefer the clean look of white sandy bottoms. Although I have considered setting up an estuary like tank with my two F8s.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html
"Decoration:
Decorate with taller plants in the background and shorter ones on the side. Add one or more rock cave for your gobies. Anubius and Java Fern should be attached to the rock cave(s).

Salt:
Around 1-2 tablespoons of marine salt per gallon of water or a specific gravity of 1.005-1.010 will be adequate for the full lives of most of these fish. Green Spotted Puffers prefer saltier conditions with around 3-5 tablespoons of marine salt per gallon of water or a specific gravity of 1.010-1.020."
looks at the second setup. I might even try it with a couple of mangroves.

Let me know what you decide to do.
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.