Need some help please.

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Da happy octopus
Amoeba

Need some help please.

Post by Da happy octopus »

Does anyone know of a easy and accurate way to cool a tank with out laying down $500+ for a chiller? I have a 110 gal tall with 8 t5 lights but only 4 of them are running atm cause of the heat. There is a sump as well with a submersiable pump.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

what are you currently doing to cool it? What temp does it run throughout the light cycle?
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Da happy octopus
Amoeba

I'm running only 1/2 the lights and for shorter periods of time. it's running about 84F atm but i can get it down to around 80 at night. i have also started keeping it cooler in the house but it seems to have little effect.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

You can leave the canopy hood open at all times, put some fans in the hood and run the lights twice a day (run them for 4-5 hour in the morning and run them for another 4-5 hours at night). That is what I am having to do.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

well not sure what you have now, but you can place fans in the canopy, place fans over the sump........ Run the lights at night ( assuming the house is cooler at night ). Lots of things to do. I doubt you need a chiller with t5's unless your house is really hot ( and winter is right around the corner) or you have massing inline pumps heating the water.
Da happy octopus
Amoeba

All my pumps are underwater, no canopy, i am going to add a second fan to the lights though. the light are hung about 6" over the tank. I'll post some pics and soon as i get my camera hooked up to my laptop :)
Da happy octopus
Amoeba

Here are the pics as promised :) Just the antic lights are on atm.
Attachments
tank.JPG
tank.JPG (57.11 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
medikall
Amoeba

Post by medikall »

I actually have an old chiller for sale if anyone wants it. It is a West Coast Aquatics 1/5 inline.

I know it needs work, I think the thermal switch has gone bad. However it is all standard coke machine parts or so WCA told me a while back. If interested I can try to email some pics.
Sean
Da happy octopus
Amoeba

Send me some pics please. mhughes401@adelphia.net
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Sounds like your heat might be coming from underwater pumps....how many are you running and what size and type....Also what is your room temp.....you should only need one small fan in the canopy to pull the light heat out...too many and you will evaporate way too much water....also make sure your heater is not coming on.....again it sounds more like pump heat....
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

tbmoore wrote:Sounds like your heat might be coming from underwater pumps....how many are you running and what size and type....Also what is your room temp.....you should only need one small fan in the canopy to pull the light heat out...too many and you will evaporate way too much water....also make sure your heater is not coming on.....again it sounds more like pump heat....

I agree wit Big T, With the open lighting system you should not really have a heat problem from the lights unless the house is unusually warm.
how much water evaporates a day?
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Take the heater out and see what happens just in case its running on. If you are only getting down to 80F at night, then you don't need it anyways.

Since you are getting up to 84F during the day, then the problem IS the lights or a temperature spike in your house (probabaly not since it's been cool outside). Just add a fan to cool the air between the lights and the water. This will increase evaporation, but that is the whole idea. If you put the fan on a timer (corresponding to the lights), then the temperature might very well stablize from day to night.

BTW... do you have a glass top? If so... just take it off and skip the fan. It's preventing evaporation.

Another idea if you want to keep the glass top is to put a fan on a timer in the sump.
Wind me up!
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

When we first got our setup, we had the same issue. Come to find out it was a faulty heater.
Karen
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I would guess that it's your room temp. I keep my house at 72 so that my tank will stay at 80 durring the day. And that's with the hood opened up.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
JIM
Amoeba

Post by JIM »

Fans,fans more fans will resolve your problem!!!!!!
(YELLING JIM)