Plexiglass\Acrylic

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Dgpuffer
Amoeba

Plexiglass\Acrylic

Post by Dgpuffer »

Does any one know where I can but sheets of Plex or Acry for a good price. I want to build a new tank and am having some problems finding the right thickness. Thanks
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

What thickness do you need? A 4x8 sheet of 3/8" is about $220.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

You should be able to get that at any glass shop. It's high. It would probably be cheaper to just buy a tank when you figure in your time making it.
Dgpuffer
Amoeba

Post by Dgpuffer »

Well time is not a big thing I love the challange. I am "going" to build a aprx. 250-500gal tank that will be a huge short square box. I want it to stop about 5-5.5ft off the ground so I can look in the top. And only whant it to be couple feet deep and sit on a stand.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

That's a different story, I thought you might want to built something like a standard size tank. Good luck. Keep us posted on the progress.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

For a tank that size you will probably need 5/8-3/4" acrylic. Very expensive. I think a sheet of 5/8 is about $600.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Brian, look in the phone book under "plastics", there's several places here in Mobile, and I'm sure there's tons of 'em in Pensacola.
-Josh Murrah
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

good luck, 500 gallons of water is approx. 4,284.77 lbs...make sure you use a good sealer and lots of braces...i think it might be cheaper to buy a prefab tank...and not to mention insurance knowing the tank is built right, but if you decide to go ahead and do it, i will try to help you out as much as i can and help you find what you need, cause id love to see a tank that size
Dgpuffer
Amoeba

Post by Dgpuffer »

Well not real sure on whats going to happen. I found big help glass for cheap. (I think) a 4x4 sheet will cost aprx 150 my cost but I also have a friend that works in a huge glass dealer here and can prob get it alot cheaper. Been told a 4x4cube is aprox 500? I think I may go to a little smaller. Dont know.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

48"x48"x48" is 478 gallons... man if you can get glass cheap i say do it, but make sure your braces and underneath is doubles up for pressure
JPerkins
Amoeba

Post by JPerkins »

I agree with everything these guys are saying about the weight. I have a friend in the glass business and he says the danger is them bowing due to pressure.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Why not ask that MS company that makes the tanks to quote you a price? Ask them for the specifications they are quoting on. Use their thickness to estimate the cost of building your own. Then compare the cost of making vs buying. :?:

Can I go swimming in it when your done? This is going to make Josh's tank look like a goldfish bowl (and mine a shot glass). :wink:
Wind me up!
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

Al-Fl Plastics here in Mobile....they were gonna try to repair my broken 300 gallon but we changed our mind. You don't need to have the same thickness all over.

If you want to come look at how our tank is made you are more than welcome!

Elizabeth