Sympathy for Reeferpuffer and a suggestion for all (long pos

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

Sympathy for Reeferpuffer and a suggestion for all (long pos

Post by sb1227 »

I don't even think I've posted on this board yet, but I've been quietly scanning the posts for some time now. So I guess I should say "Hello All" first! :D Anyway, Reeferpuffer, I just read your post "emergency" this morning and sure understood what you were going thru! I had a similar situation a few weeks ago and it was just devistating (although I don't know what the toxin was that hit my tank, only know it was something that didnt rinse out of a new foam block I put in the sump) I can honestly say it was one of the hardest things I've ever watched. Anyway, I just want to say don't be too quick to discount your corals as dead. I had one LPS I was certain was a goner, everything else seemed to come back ok in a couple of days after water changes and filtering..but you could clearly see the caulastrea's skeleton and not much else. I couldn't bear to take it out yet so I just laid it on a rock. After about a week I noticed a tiny bit of swelling of what were the heads, and thinking it wouldn't take up water if it was dead...I set it back up under the light. Today it's eating well and happy( still amazing to me) even if it still looks a bit funny! Guess I'm just trying to say give them a little time and maybe some of them will make it, I think sometimes they're stronger than we realize. You might want to give them a bit less light, and I'm certainly no expert....just trying to give a little bit of hope. I would like to suggest to everyone who hasn't been thru this to please keep an extra poly filter and fresh carbon around at all times (along with aged saltwater, if you can). These things happen very quickly and time does matter. Sorry for such a long post, just needed to add my 2 cents. Thanks, Sue
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Sue,

Welcome! I can't believe it, you were the 27th member to join back in May and are just now posting. I really thought that any non-posting members were just gone. I guess you showed me. I hope that you will stick around and maybe even attend a few meetings.

BTW, your right about that. I have had SPS bleach and die and bleach and regain their color. Really haven't had a tank wipe out before, just a few pieces here or there.

~Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Scott wrote:. Really haven't had a tank wipe out before, just a few pieces here or there.

~Scott

(Knocks on wood for Scott....) :shock:
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Prays for Scott making a statement like that....
Knocks on more wood...tank...tank....tink.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate