Hair Algea

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Yes I agree to the fact they are bulldozers but under the circustances.....
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Dys
Amoeba

hair algea eater....

Post by Dys »

Rainford Goby is an omnivore, who is a great hair algea eater. They are reef safe and invert safe. Also known as Court Jester.
I'll respect you in the morning, but I won't wake up till noon.
dave3112
Amoeba

Post by dave3112 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 4338901080

i hope this link works. has anyone heard of or tried this stuff?
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Looks pretty good. Not sure if it will really work though. The Nitrosomas and Nitrobacters are already present in all reef tanks. Not sure about the Bacillus, I have never heard of them. You can stimulate the growth of most of the bacteria by proving them with a source of energy (sugars) and that usually tends to brown out corals because the same sugars cause Zoanthellae to reproduce. I am not sure if this is the same priciple behind this product but vodka can produce the same results.

If you have a excess of NO3 or PO4 look at your source water first. There is also a method of cooking (not really cooking) live rock to force the bacteria to consume the organics and the organics to force the sediments and organics out of the rock from bacterial pressure.

Algae outbreaks are also a normal progression of a maturing reef tank. Some will go away on it's own and with normal tank maintenance the organics that cause them will be decreased.

I am not a chemist (far from it) so some of the biological processes are jsut something that is taught and not understood by me.

HTH,
Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.