Dwarf Angels

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Dwarf Angels

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

Has anyone had a problem with dwarf angels nipping at corals? I have a black nox angel and have had no problem with him nipping at any corals (not that I've seen anyway). I am considering getting more angels.
-Kristyn
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Some people get away with keeping these guys (dwarf angels) in their tanks. Even those who keep them and think they don't have a problem sometimes later realize that they do.

I was at Terry's one day (before hurricane) watching his bi-color dwarf angel. He told me he didn't have any trouble with the 'polyp picking'. A couple of beers later I point out to him that it was nipping away at his SPS corals. About a week later this post came up: http://www.mbrk.com/viewtopic.php?t=230 ... highlight=

I will not even try to keep them in my tanks. -Just my opinion.
Wind me up!
Aaron
Amoeba

Post by Aaron »

I have a coral beauty and a flame angel, and they do pick from time to time I've noticed. But I have found that if you keep them well fed, they tend to do less damage. They are rooming with a copperband butterfly, tangs, and some clowns, electric scallops, clams, open brains and some colts and umbrellas. We' ll see how things progress.

aaron
Woods Hole
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Even if well fed, it is difficult to deter a fish from its natural foodstuffs. Most people find these fish a bit of a gamble in pretty much any situation. Some particular species seem better suited at times, while in other situations prove to be a nightmare. Even typically benign species (i.e. Centropyge potteri) have been reported to feed on a certain percentage of Scleractinian corals in the wild. Just realize that, no matter what, you will be taking a risk in adding one. Personally, I love my C. potteri.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Josh use to have a Potter's angel too. He said it didn't do any nipping. Of course, in a 240g, who would have noticed? :wink:

Beautiful fish!

'borrowed' picture...
Wind me up!
Aaron
Amoeba

Post by Aaron »

I have had a coral beauty for about 6-8 months in a 45 hex, but I converted to a 125 gallon and added a flame angel (and other beauties). I guess research and experience historically have discouraged the co-habitation of angels and corals. But man they sure look beautiful together. I hope mine continue to thrive in this ecosystem. I am also reluctant to add anything else, because everything is doing so well together. I don't want to disrupt the harmony within my tank. My wife and kids really dig it too. It's a great learning tool to teach kids about marine life. I am trying to attach some pictures of the set-up and of the current display when the pictures get developed. I have had trouble adding attachments.
Woods Hole
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

So far I haven't seen my black nox angel nipping at any corals althought I don't have a whole lot right now. I may try getting another angel down the road if my current angel does fine. I'll try to get pics posted sometime.
-Kristyn
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Glad it is behaving. Just keep a good, close eye on it, as it is not what I would consider to be one of the better angels for a reef tank. you may want to take a look at this

http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/TrophicEco ... pecies=nox

This isn't absolute, though. Every fish specimen is an individual, and will, therefore, act as an individual. So expect some deviation from the 'norm.'
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium