It gettng hot in here .......

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

SaltnLime
Chromis

It gettng hot in here .......

Post by SaltnLime »

My tank is running between 83 and 84 degrees with temps as high as 85.2 during the day....then at night with just the sump light on the temp is 79. I am running two fans (one icecap)blowing into the canopy from seperate ends. The house temp is set at 73 all day and the air ven is directed straight at the canopy and behind the tank. . I have'nt even added the 440 watts of vho for cryin out loud.

I am thinking of adding another fan to the sump area. Currently I run one 4" fam all day and one 4" fan a few minutes before the halides kick on through an hour afterward. If I leave them on longer then the water chills to fast.

Anyone else run high temps. The corals and fish seem ok. The word chiller has come to mind, but is not a consideration at this point.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

I kinda had a similiar problem when setting up my tank. I went to walmart and bought a couple of fans (approximately 6 or 8 inch fan). I mounted one straight down at the water in the sump, and it helped tremendously. I don't run a chiller either. I think the fan costs around 8 bucks, I think. IMHO, it is worth a shot.

John
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Xster wrote:I kinda had a similiar problem when setting up my tank. I went to walmart and bought a couple of fans (approximately 6 or 8 inch fan). I mounted one straight down at the water in the sump, and it helped tremendously. I don't run a chiller either. I think the fan costs around 8 bucks, I think. IMHO, it is worth a shot.

John
a regular oscillating (sp) fan? How did you mount it ?
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Since my sump, is underneath my tank, I used a long screw and just drilled it into the stand. The fan is pointing straight down at the water. Make sure you get a fan that does not oscilate from side to side. Get one that only moves up and down on a bracket. I just drilled the fan straight through the plastic bracket onto the 2X4 above the sump and underneath the tank. It is a Honeywell brand. You can check it out on thursday if you can wait that long.

Warning: Do not use too long of a screw.

John
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Xster wrote:Since my sump, is underneath my tank, I used a long screw and just drilled it into the stand. The fan is pointing straight down at the water. Make sure you get a fan that does not oscilate from side to side. Get one that only moves up and down on a bracket. I just drilled the fan straight through the plastic bracket onto the 2X4 above the sump and underneath the tank. It is a Honeywell brand. You can check it out on thursday if you can wait that long.

Warning: Do not use too long of a screw.

John

Thanks... I check it out then
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Just remember, more fans = more evaporation.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

How long are your halides on? 7-9 hours a day has been proven to be more than enough and the longer periods are solely for SPS coloration.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

Go to Wal Mart and get the little free-standing 10" fans.....the cost $10. The work much better than the $25 fans from Ice Cap or Radio Shack....just hang them off the back of the canopy!

Elizabeth :D