Flatworms alert for those I traded with

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Flatworms alert for those I traded with

Post by Fishfood »

I don't know if i got these from any of you (scott, eddie) but I noticed that i have a few of them in my tank. I just noticed this past weekend. Its nothing major yet so maybe it came in on one of the other corals I recently purchased from a lfs. I just wanted to give both of you a heads up just in case I had it before we traded. I didn't see any though until this past week but the things are so small and few at the moment that I could have missed them before.

Oh and scott you gave me a pest also. I found some xenia growing on one of those caps.. haha.. I just broke that piece off and threw it away.

I'm getting some flatworm exit and going to take care of it before it gets too bad. I might also start dipping all corals in FE before they go into my tank.
Scott
Goby

Re: Flatworms alert for those I traded with

Post by Scott »

Fishfood wrote:Oh and scott you gave me a pest also. I found some xenia growing on one of those caps.. haha.. I just broke that piece off and threw it away.
Oh well, I tried to get someone else to feel my pain. I was able to pawn some off on a few people :D

What do the flatworms look like?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

here is a link to some pics. My are a lot smaller right now and haven't gotten all over the tank yet. I don't know how fast they infest the tank. They could have come from that frag I got last week that was in someone elses tank and they took it to Aquaria. Who knows.

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthr ... =flatworms
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I just wanted to make sure you guys check out your tanks in case they were in mine before we traded so you catch them before they explode. From what I understand in tanks with not too much extra nutrients they kind of stay under control.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

If that is what that is. My 10 gal is covered in them. I only have one fish and some shooms in it right now. How do you get rid of them other then a nudibranch
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

looks like flatworm exit is the best option.. just make sure you remove as many as you can before you do it or they will nuke your tank because they are toxic when they die. That many would probably harm your shrooms.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Some fish may eat them. Mandarins and six line wrasses are possibilities. I had some a long time ago. I changed skimmers and added some dottybacks (Pseudochromis springerii and fridmani). I haven't seen any of the red ones since. I did notice one on the glass one day when the pumps were off. It was much larger than the normal planaria and was tan. It was the only one I could find and I looked hard. I have head good reports from FW Exit but you do have to siphon them out before or when they are dying so have some saltwater ready.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I have had flatworms since I purchased from Rich's tanks months ago. I am happy to say they are not causing a problem. I mean they are there but they are not multiplying at a high rate or causing any tank problems.

I really thought I may have to use flatworm exit but since they are not disrupting I will not worry about it, why rock the boat.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I too deal with this as most saw at the meeting, but I have only had to siphon them 2X in 4-5 months, and that seems to keep them at bay. I have the exit on hand just incase it gets crazy. Better to be ready than not.
Karen
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

Not here :D Don't worry, had them in the old 110 and they just kinda ran themselves out. I got them from Rich in a bag of calurpa before I knew better. He is the only persons tank I have seen them in and they seemed to be under control after a few different visits. Do like Karen said and siphon as many out as possible and you should be fine. ALWAYS inspect your new corals/frags!!!
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

Just saw Scotts post about the Xenia, What's the deal??? I had pounds of the stuff in my old setup and LOVED it.It is AWESOME, as long as you keep it cofined to the glass. There is NO other background that is half as realistic. I'm addicted, what do you expect????? :lol:
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

A few flatworms is like being a little preg.....I get them everyonce and a while .....when adding and tradeing hard not to....the trick is to use fw exit early and right before your monthly water change when you see the problem. I just saw a few in my fuge....when I do a water change in a wk or so I will attact while there are only a few then water change and carbon....if you wait till you have a real problem that is when you have a real problem...when the die that is when the toxins are released so if you catch it early you lessen the chance of damage to your tank...JMO...
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I plan on getting them early. I have FE on the way and will go with two treatments. I dont' have many at this point but with the way things work for me I'll probably be infested if i let it unchecked.

As for the xenia... keep em out of my tank.. along with GSP. I'm partial to a nice coraline background myself.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

My 10 gal is infested with them. They are not hurting anything in the tank so I have not done anything about it. I also had no idea what they were. where did you get the FE from? This week end I think that I will get the fish out of the tank and try diping the rock in fresh water this weekend. and try and remove most of them. Then I will use the FE on what is left. I planed on in a couple of months hooking this tank up with my main tank. It is good that I found this out now so I can do something about it.