coral eating starfish

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

oddball
Amoeba

coral eating starfish

Post by oddball »

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I have a fair amount of these Asterina starfish in my tank (with sps and the like) and they have never harmed a single thing. I think that there are obviously different species, often very difficult to distinguish, that are indeed coral predators though. Or it might be that when deprived of a food source (usually worms, copepods), they may begin to feed upon coral polyps.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

Karen gave me a green mushroom when I bought some live rock from her. I noticed one of these star fish in my tank that had come with the stuff she gave me. The next day I went out of town for Thanksgiving. When I came back the mushroom was no where to be found. The only thing I can think of is this little star fish ate it. I saw the starfish on the glass a few days after I got back into town. But I didn't see this post until after that. I haven't seen the starfish since. When I do, he will be removed! :evil:
-Kristyn
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

I have alot of these in my tank and they have never caused any problems. They normally are on the glass.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Yea I had bunches of them in the tank, but they never bothered anything. I can almost guarantee that the mushroom moved to a new location. They will do that if they are unhappy with where you place them. Once they settle in and attach to a new area, they show back up by stretching for the light. Did you have him at the top of the tank, or high light area? If so, he was upset with you. Check the bottom shaded areas.
Let us know. When you find him.
As for the coral eating stars, I believe the ones that eat corals, though far and few between, have a black center.
Karen
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I always remove them. Why take a chance? Now the only time I see them is when I add something new that happens to have some.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

He hasn't turned up yet. I had him at the bottom of the tank out in the open. Maybe he moved somewhere to the back and I just haven't seen him. The other polyps you gave me are doing really great. I really like the candy cane polyp. Thanks again, Karen!
-Kristyn
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Well I found that little star fish and took him out. Still no sign of the mushroom anywhere. :cry:
-Kristyn