Local Live Rock

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

HAMsmith
Amoeba

Local Live Rock

Post by HAMsmith »

About to start the tank and trying to decide where to get the live rock. As I guess we are easy to please, the wife and I are probably more interested in the live rock and associated critters than we are the fish or corals. So with that in mind what do people think of the local live rock?

I look online and I see such amazing live rock with the extreme being Tampa Bay Saltwater. Then I look locally and it doesn't wow me in the same way. Is this because the local live rock needs to be in a tank under correct lighting etc to start to flourish or does the local live rock not have as much life?

Thanks,

Martin
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Where are you looking for live rock ? Some vendors in town have horrible looking live rock.

Second, a lot of live rock does not look that great in the vendor vats, but as die off occurs the rock will look better.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
HAMsmith
Amoeba

Post by HAMsmith »

Locally I've been to:

Progressive
B&B
Fat Fish
Water World
Aquaria
Aquarium Works
Second, a lot of live rock does not look that great in the vendor vats, but as die off occurs the rock will look better.
That was what I was hoping.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

And then, later on....when you least expect it......

New things will start growing out of it. :lol:

It's pretty amazing, really.
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

You have to give it time. I've had many pieces that didn't have any coraline on them and now they are completely purple. And like Sue said...you'll see things grow out of it later too...they're hiding deep inside. Just give it time.
-Kristyn
HAMsmith
Amoeba

Post by HAMsmith »

Thanks for the advice.

That is what I was hoping to hear. I'll go local with my LR then.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

just pick pieces that fit, or are visually appealing in shape.

Thats teh only thing I can recommend.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Do not forget, porous and light !!!
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

What are you interested in raising in your new tank? Mostly corals, softies, etc, or what? Depending on what you're interested in I'd probably stay away from the Florida live rock unless you like battling mantis, etc... It's also denser than a lot of the pacific stuff.

Maybe it's my cheapness, but I'd probably just order a box from somewhere that had it on sale. It's a gamble, but that is part of the fun, right? :)
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
HAMsmith
Amoeba

Post by HAMsmith »

We would like to keep:

Goby/shrimp combo

Banggai Card and/or Firefish, basically a small fish with big personality

Zoanthids

Ricordea Mushroom

Branching out to other easy corals that will thrive in a stock Aquapod 24 with PC lighting.

I agree the surprise/mystery is part of the fun, luckily I still have time so I'll keep researching my options.
Dxtr
Amoeba

Post by Dxtr »

i've ordered my inital LR from a certain saltwaterfish dot com type website :wink: and have always been very pleased with the LR that was sent. lots of coraline, some die off but not much considering the 2 day shipping.

The only beef I had was when I ordered 45-50 lbs. last time, the box weighed 45 lbs upon arrival, however, after placing the LR in my tank, I was curious and weighed the box.... 10 lbs.. so I really only received 35lbs.... none the less, it still only cost me around $5.00 per lb including shipping.

It was very good rock to start my tank with and now I can pick and choose the visual and appealing rock I want to add to my tank.

just my 2 cents. :)

dxtr

- gotta show a picture!!! :P
Attachments
Full Tank 6.16.06.jpg
Full Tank 6.16.06.jpg (80.54 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
Peace! - Dxtr
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Your box weighed 10lbs ?
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Dxtr
Amoeba

Post by Dxtr »

actually 9.5lbs with the wet news paper and water soaked shipping box. Other than that, I was very impressed with the quality and coraline on the rock.

Dxtr
Peace! - Dxtr
SadaAesix
Amoeba

Live Rock

Post by SadaAesix »

I bought all my live rock from Fat Fish in Daphne. They have some really nice and very cured pieces there and I know it seems a bit pricey compared to online vendors but you're not paying money for shipping and you can hand select your rock as you go. Plus Michelle is really kind about giving discounts if you buy in large amounts.
I used their rock and I have to say I was more then pleased. It's been about three weeks now and the rock I obtained from FF is becoming more beautiful. I have large puffy pink and red algea growth and a small sypha sponge popped out and a healthy pod population.
The only other seeding I did was added some Live and bio-active argonite from Nature's Ocean. Added it after my tank was set up and partially cycled, this just put an end to the cycle process. Was milky for about 5 hours and then clear as can be. Was very pleased with this product.

All in all I highly recommend the rock and the Nature's Ocean bio-active Argonite at FF.
Sada
Buzz
Amoeba

Live Rock

Post by Buzz »

Not to get on the FF bandwagon, but they just got some pukani live rock the other day. (not sure if thats the correct spelling) Walked in the store and it smelled like someone died in there. They said it was the new liverock curing. I got to take a peek. THIS SHI?>#$% IS WICKED LOOKING. They said its gonna sell for more per pound but the piece I looked at was 3 times the size of anything in my tank but weighed hardly anything. I'm sure the other stores can get the same stuff. This is just the first time I've seen this kind of rock.

Oh well...my .02 worth.

Buzz
Last edited by Buzz on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)