Air bubbles

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

cnovak
Amoeba

Air bubbles

Post by cnovak »

i run a emperor 270 on my 29gl and was wondering if anyone knows how to reduce the air bubbles that are put out into the tank from the waterflow. Thanks in advance.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

What kind of filter is that?
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

It is going to be impossible to tell you how to get rid of the bubble unless i either have a picture of the filter or a really good description. By the way, Welcome to our message board !
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Amy,
I think it is a HOB power filter like they use in freshwater.

Chris,
What are you using this filter for? I had a Penguin that I used for running carbon and breaking up surface scum, but had a lot of problems with it only one of which was air bubbles. If you have an overflow, I would suggest getting rid of it and adding a Maxi-jet powerhead.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

I'll assume the bubbles are from the return water ripping into the tank from above?

You can glue a piece of plexi under the output so that the water shoots into the tank at more of an angle instead of just pouring in.
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
cnovak
Amoeba

Post by cnovak »

Sorry don't have a camera to give pics but it's a HOB power filter: Emperor 280, i took off the bio-wheel because i was told that it can become a nitrate factory. i added it to help w/clearer water since you can run filter inserts in it. i also run a HOB protein skimmer and 2 maxijet 900's. Do you think the 280 is overkill? it's only a 29gl with no overflow, don't plan on using a sump on this tank because i have little knowledge in the matter but have been looking into it.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

I am sure some of these guys could come up with some way to modify it to help with the air bubbles. We use a HOB on Devon's Nano but it doesn't push enough water to make air bubbles unless the water is too low. If the water is flowing straight into the tank at water level it tends not to "splash" so much.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

harbingerofthefish wrote:I'll assume the bubbles are from the return water ripping into the tank from above?

You can glue a piece of plexi under the output so that the water shoots into the tank at more of an angle instead of just pouring in.

I agree with this...if air bubbles are made from the filter out flow contacting the tank water then this would work.

Also make sure the intake hose is secure and is a snug fit over the inlet chamber....a small gap causes it to suck air wich can produce bubbles.

IMO if oyu had to go with a standard filter a canister filter might be worth loking at like an eheim or a hot magnum. That way you can place the in and out tubes anywhere you like. You can even modify an overflow box to a canister and make a closed loop system.

Lemme know, I may have a canister filter lying around.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Does this one have the spraybar that moves the biowheel?
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

That's what I read Scott.. on their website. I didn't see a 270, but the 280 has the spraybar.
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

If it has a spray bar, you could possibly cut it off so that it doesn't shoot at the wheel area so that it hits the wall of the HOB and then fills it up. Then the water wouldn't shoot into the tank but rather be contained inside the HOB. Any air bubbles should burst upon reaching the saurface of the HOB before they enter the tank.

Of course if you cut it the water might shoot straight up and out of the HOB. In which case you could cap it off with a pvc end cap with a couple of holes in it spraying into the HOB.
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

If you take the spraybar off you may be able to route a piece of flex tubing from the spray bar output down into the bottom of the filter it might stop the air bubbles if it is from the spraybar.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

TOLD you these guys could come up with something :)
cnovak
Amoeba

Post by cnovak »

Just wanna say thanks to everyone for the imput. Yeah i messed up saying 270, it's a 280 w/spraybar. You've all given some great ideas, i think i'll try to tinker w/a little of each. I don't know about using a canister w/an overflow to make a closed loop. Don't really know much about it so i think i'll try to research. Will post an update though to say how it goes. Thanks again.
JPerkins
Amoeba

Post by JPerkins »

That was an impressive piece of problem solving.