To clam or not to clam.....

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

cnovak
Amoeba

To clam or not to clam.....

Post by cnovak »

OK first off i think clams are awesome and would really love to have some in my tank. i run 2 65w PC 50/50 act on my 29gl. i've always been told that you need atleast MH for these. On my last visit to Progressive Rich was telling me that i could handle some species of clams but probably not the T. Maxima. Could this be possible? And if so what species? Also, i will not be upgrading my lights on this tank because hopefully i will be moving at the beginning of the year and be able to start either a 90 or 125gl :) and most of my money will be spent on that. Thanks in advance.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I would guess he is talking about Squamosa. Maybe you could position him high in the tank until you're setup with a tank with more light.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

I think that is the right type but C you also have to consider calcium not just lighting when thinking about clams... they will suck the tank dry of calcium you usually have to dose something (someone correct me if I am wrong- I am sure someone will)- Like Kalk or Bi-Ionic something to supplement especially if you have any other hard corals.

Those clams also get pretty big pretty quick....again I might be thinking about another type but I think I am right on that one.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Oh comeon.. B&B has clams all the time, and I bet they don't add any calcium. The last time I was there, most of the lights weren't even working. This whole needs light and good water thing is just way overrated :)

Cnovak.. please don't take me seriously, just another poke at B&B.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I can get you some clam from the gulf.
cnovak
Amoeba

Post by cnovak »

LOL... that's a good one about B&B. I keep a good eye on my calc already. Like to keep it just over 450. But if they do grow really fast i might just wait for a bigger setup. Thanks alot you guys.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Hrm.. My one little crocea is no longer with me. I did a 20 gal water change last night and upped the salinity by .001 because it had fallen a bit. I wouldn't have thought that was too much, or it could have been a quick change in the temp of the tank. It got up to 84.4 when I changed the water.. anyways. He was looking really good up until this morning. This is just to say AmyJoe is right on, I have plenty of lighting, I have 320 watts vho, and 750 watts halide, and my alk and calk are where they should be. I'm gonna run some other water test tonight and see if something is amiss. I think I made a mistake with the water temp. Welp.. won't do that one again.
Bums me.. 1st thing I've lost other than two fish that went missing.

Rest in Peace Clammy :(
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Man Brandon that bites.... :( We sold our squamosa and the other clams that we had because of the calcium issues, the one we had got huge... I will see if Kevin has a pic of it. When its mantel came out it would touch the glass.
cnovak
Amoeba

Post by cnovak »

Sorry about the loss, i would hate to lose one. i think i'll wait until i get better quarters/equip before i try my luck w/clams.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Actually the clam I was talking about early was a Dersa I will get Kevin to post a picture later.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Here is a couple that we use to have....
Attachments
derasa_clam3.jpg
derasa_clam3.jpg (129.56 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
maxima-young-2.jpg
maxima-young-2.jpg (45.68 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
new-derasa.jpg
new-derasa.jpg (51.83 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Man those are beautiful!! Kevins photography comes through again.. Great pictures.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Is that a green striped mushroom in the second picture.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

those were nice...where are they now?...
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

hummmm went the way of back to Rich's.... :(