Group Buy - Calcium Hydroxide (Kalkwasser)

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

John, your 100% right. The highest quality will be reagent grade. The difference in cost may not be worth it though.

Come to think about it... how much do we expect to save here? I think we are stretching our brains to make cheaper the cheapest additive we use!
Amyjoe wrote:Sounds like you guys just want to blow things up.....
And just what is wrong with that? :wink: I've seen fires started by compressed CaO getting wet! It's reactive enough to reach the auto-ignition temperature of paper! :shock:
Wind me up!
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

KrazyPlace wrote:
Amyjoe wrote:Sounds like you guys just want to blow things up.....
And just what is wrong with that? :wink: I've seen fires started by compressed CaO getting wet! It's reactive enough to reach the auto-ignition temperature of paper! :shock:
Man that sounds serious!

Hey Jeff, let's try to find out how much both cost...and if it almost the same or too much, we can all decide in whatever direction. Let us know. :) I am ultimately looking for like 4 bags of the stuff.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Opinion from "non-expert"

Post by Scott »

Xster wrote: It helps with keep ph up when used in conjunction with a calcium reactor. It also helps precipitates phosphate via the skimmer.
I can see the first point, but a refugium that has a reverse photoperiod will help maintain a stable ph. For the second point I would like to agree with the concept but I am not sure if the implementation of this is good. It does bind with the PO4 but I am not sure if the skimmer will remove it at that point. I will try and research it some but it seems that transport of the PO4 to the sandbed where it will then build up seems more reasonable. I may be wrong about the second part and I am not claiming to know.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Hey Scott, I absolutely agree with your thoughts. But I do not have a refugium yet. Also, ever since I started adding limewater to my tank, I have experience less algae on the glass. That's just what I have noticed.

Also, I was also having a very tough time keeping my calcium and alkalinity to standard levels with just my calcium reactor. I have been trying my best the last couple of months tweaking it, in order to get the most out of the reactor. But I honestly think that my entire tank's calcium intake is just too much for that reactor. After adding limewater, I am able to keep my calcium levels above 400 ppm.

Maybe this is also after the fact that I started to make sure that my magnesium levels are above 1350 ppm also. But who knows. I am honestly liking my tank better since started adding limewater.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I add it too. I just wondered why you guys needed so much. It seems to me that a little goes a long way, but I still have a little tank with a small Ca demand.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Here is your chemical leason for the week: http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek/Lime/lime.html

Pay attention to the last reaction.
Wind me up!
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

KrazyPlace wrote:Here is your chemical leason for the week: http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek/Lime/lime.html

Pay attention to the last reaction.
Very interesting, thanks Jeff.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

You guys must be way smarter than me. I have no ideal what I am looking at except that it is an ionic reaction and the PO4 is probably forming a precipitate with calcium.

Lime is also added to sewage to remove phosphates.

3 CaO(s) + 3 H2O(l) + 2 PO43–(aq)---> Ca3(PO4)2(s) + 6 OH–(aq)

Can someone enlighten me?